“UP THE MIDDLE” SKEWERED SUB
Yields 4 portions, recipe developed by The Clever Cleaver Brothers®
Beef Mixture Finishing Touch
1 pound lean ground beef
4 deluxe hot dog buns
1/2 cup minced onion
1 red pepper cut into 16 slices
1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
1/2 onion, cut into thin slices
1 tablespoon Morton® Season-All® Seasoning Blend 1 cup shredded ice berg lettuce
barbecue sauce, as needed
4 12-inch wooden skewers
4 ½” x 6” strips of CABOT® Vermont Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
olive oil, as needed
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the Beef Mixture ingredients.
2. Divide the meat into four portions and shape each portion into a tube shape, approximately 2 inches in diameter around the skewer. Place them on a plate and rub with the olive oil. Hold the cheese on the skewer and form the meat around the cheese.
3. Preheat the barbecue grill to medium heat. Place skewers directly on the grill and cook for approximately 20-30 minutes. Turn the skewers during cooking to ensure that all sides are browned.
4. Half-way through cooking, place the red pepper strips and onion slices on the grill and grill until light brown. Also approximately half-way through the cooking process or when the meat is browned on all sides and firm, remove the skewers by firmly holding the meat with a pair of tongs and pulling the skewers out.
5. Five minutes before the meat is done, baste with barbecue sauce on all sides and don’t forget to paint a little barbecue sauce on the peppers and onions.
6. When everything is cooked, it’s time to build the sub. Open the roll and place in some shredded lettuce, grilled peppers & onions and the meat. Top with more barbecue sauce. Enjoy the sub and cheer on your team.
For more delicious recipes visit www.CleverCleaver.com.