• Store bought pound cake, or other non-frosted cake
• can of prepared lemon (or other flavor) pudding,
• pint of fresh strawberries or frozen bag of strawberries,
• peeled and sectioned citrus such as tangerines
• small bag of pecans,
• small bag of chocolate chips
• teaspoon of non-hydrogenated shortening
• whipped crème
• waxed paper
1. Use large clear bowl or individual servings bowls or goblets
2. Tear or slice pound cake into bite size chunks
3. Place 1/3 (one third) of the cake chunks as the bottom layer of the container/s
4. Layer ¼ (one quarter) of the strawberries on top of the cake chunks in the container/s
5. Layer ¼ (one quarter) of the peeled citrus sections onto the strawberries
6. Layer 1/3 one third of the pudding
7. Repeat the layers two more times.
8. Decorate the top layer of pudding with the remaining strawberries and citrus sections.
Before assembling the trifle:
• Place a sheet of wax paper on a plate or tray.
• Clean and dry fruit.
• Put the chocolate chips and shortening in a microwavable bowl
• Zap on high for about one minute, stir until smooth
• Dip ¼ of the fruit sections into the melted chocolate
• Place on wax paper
• Toast the pecans slightly (in low heat oven on tray, or in toaster oven)
NOTE: Layer ¼ (one quarter) of the pecans in each layer of the trifle
9. Top with whipped crème
10. Place the container/s on a platter.
10. Decorate around the container/s with the chocolate covered fruit sections
HOMEMADE FLORIDA TRIFLE RECIPE: Follow the above directions using your homemade cake, lemon curd or custard, and whipped cream.
Makes one pound of cake:
• 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
• 1 cup powdered or superfine sugar
• 4 large eggs
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• Zest of a lemon or orange
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees
• Butter a 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan.
• In a large bowl:
o sift together twice flour, baking powder, and salt.
• In another large bowl beat:
o Butter until creamy and smooth.
o Gradually add the sugar while mixing at medium-high speed until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes).
o Mix in eggs.
o Mix in vanilla and lemon zest.
o Mix in flour mixture and mix just until incorporated.
• Bake for 55 minutes or until done
• Remove the cake from the oven
• Place on a wire rack to cool
Lemon Curd Recipe: Makes 1 1/2 cups
• 3 large eggs
• 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (2-3 lemons)
• 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon zest from above lemons
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into small pieces
• Grate lemon peel to make lemon zest.
• In a stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water:
o Whisk together the eggs, sugar, and lemon juice.
o For about ten minutes, cook while stirring constantly until the mixture becomes thick.
o Remove from heat and pour through a strainer to remove any lumps.
o Whisk cut butter into the mixture until melted.
o Add the lemon zest and let cool.
o Cover and refrigerate. It will last about a week.
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 tablespoon confectioners' or superfine sugar
• Chill bowl and whisk (easier to use electric beater)
• In the large chilled bowl:
o Whisk cream until thickened.
o Whisk in vanilla and sugar until stiff peaks form.
o Don’t over-beat, or it will then sweetened butter.
Designed by Gray Digital Media