6 cups – Maseca Corn Masa Flour for Tamales
6 cups – Chicken Broth
1 cup – Corn Oil
2 tsp – salt
Boneless, Skinless Chicken
Red Recado seasoning
1. Rub Ricardo and other seasonings on chicken
2. Brown chicken with onions
3. Add water, cover, and stew until tender
4. Cut or shred chicken and continue to simmer
5. Add ½ cup of corn masa, that has been prepared, to chicken
6. Allow the Cull (gravy) to simmer (Do not let get too thick)
1. Blend corn masa, corn oil, salt and chicken broth until creamy, not thick
2. Add 2-4 tablespoons of cull to mixture
3. Lay out foil sheets 12x12 inches
4. Place 1-2 tablespoons full of corn masa in middle of foil and use back of spoon to spread corn into a thin circle. Leave about 3 inches of foil around the corn for folding.
5. Place 1-2 tablespoons of chicken and cull to center of corn masa
6. To wrap tamale, bring two sides together and roll down to tamale then flatten fold on top of tamale. Roll both sides of tamales.
1. Using large stock/steamer pot, place 2 cups of water in pot.
2. Place a steamer plate or improvise with something to keep water away from tamales.
3. Stack tamales in pot and steam for 30 minutes.