Pho Ga – Rice Noodle Soup with Chicken
Traditional Vietnamese Soup
Servings: 6 Servings Size
1 piece ginger root thinly sliced
3 garlic clove, crushed
4 green onions, finely chopped
3 tablespoons fish sauce
2 stalk lemongrass, chopped
3 pints low-fat chicken broth
12 ounces rice noodles
4 ounces cooked chicken breast, shredded
1 jalapeno pepper, finely sliced
2 ounces bean sprouts, blanched in boiling water
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 lime, wedged
1. Cook the noodles in boiling salted water for four minutes.
2. Strain and set aside.
3. Sauté the ginger root on a low heat for 15 minutes.
4. Cool and slice.
5. Add the ginger, garlic, green onions, fish sauce and lemon grass to the stock and simmer for 45 minutes.
6. Strain and reserve.
7. Add the chicken pieces to the strained stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
8. Reheat the noodles in boiling water for a few seconds.
9. Drain and divide the noodles between the soup bowls.
10. Pour hot broth over noodles, onions, green onions, chicken, bean sprouts, thin slice ginger, and jalapeno.
11. Garnish each bowl with cilantro and a wedge of lime.
*** Optional Sriracha chili sauce to taste.