Moultrie Fire Setting Off Alarms

By: Caroline Gonzmart Email
By: Caroline Gonzmart Email

Charred rubble, and a gaping hole are all that remain of a Moultrie home.

Fire officials say the house at 315 1st Ave. NW was set ablaze in the early hours of Thursday morning while occupants were still inside, asleep.

They say the fire could have been caused by arson.

Both occupants survived the fire, but officials say the outcome could have been much different.

Fire Marshal Levon Cooper says the occupants, a man and a woman, escaped thanks to fire department-installed smoke detectors going off, as well as a neighbor banging on a back door.

The Moultrie Fire Dept. has been installing fire detectors in at-risk area homes since 2002 -- since then, over 78 lives have been saved.

The program is funded by a grant from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Officials say smoke detectors can double your chances of surviving a fire and minimize property damage.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WCTV 1801 Halstead Blvd. Tallahassee, FL 32309
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 102184084 - wctv.tv/a?a=102184084
Gray Television, Inc.