If You're Not Careful, Your House Could Catch Fire

By: Kim Carapucci Email
By: Kim Carapucci Email

The freezing temperatures may cause many of you to crank up those space heaters to stay warm. If you're not careful, your home could catch fire.

Burnt bowls and charred mattress springs---all that's left of a home destroyed by fire. This is the aftermath of what could happen... if you're not careful.

Lowndes County Fire Chief Ken Carter has a warning for those who want to stay warm this winter. "It's very important now that cold weather's upon us and people are gonna be firing up the heaters, one of the most important things to remember is just because your heater was working when the weather got warm, doesn't mean it's gonna work properly now."

Space heaters account for many house fires. Failure to use common sense could result in flames.

Jimmie Rubie sells appliances, including space heaters. He offers some advice. "Keep it unplugged when they're not using it or when they leave the house. Don't put it too close to curtains or furniture."

Another place to be careful... the kitchen.

The Lowndes County Fire Chief says the leading cause of house fires is cooking. It could be as simple as leaving a pot or pan unattended and then walking into another room.

Fire experts say the best way to stay safe is to check your smoke detectors. "The fact they have a smoke detector is not good enough. It needs to be a working smoke detector, " said Carter.

Carter recommends testing smoke detectors once a month and changing batteries twice a year.
That way, you can avoid a disaster like this...from happening to you.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WCTV 1801 Halstead Blvd. Tallahassee, FL 32309
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 34709254 - wctv.tv/a?a=34709254