[UPDATE] Honoring Boy Who Saves Neighbor's House From Flames

By: Jill Chandler; TFD Release Email
By: Jill Chandler; TFD Release Email

[UPDATE] Tallahassee, Florida - August 2 -

A slide show of the event is attached.

On Sunday, May 30, 2011, 13 year old Craig Hewitt III took matters into his own hands when he saw a neighbor’s house on fire, alerted his mother to call for help, and jumped the fence and used a water hose to calm the flames. After grilling earlier in the day, the French family left their home for the afternoon and that is when Craig saw flames coming from the home. Craig’s efforts helped keep the fire under control until firefighters arrived.

A brief ceremony will be held this morning at 10 a.m., in the Fire Chief’s Office, 327 N Adams Street to present him with a Certificate of Appreciation.


Tallahassee, Florida --

A 13-year old boy helps to save his neighbor's home.

"So many neighbors don't even know each other..." said Gail French.

That isn't the case for the next door neighbors on Stonegate Drive... on Memorial Day, the families got together for a cookout.

A few hours later, 13- year-old Craig Hewitt noticed the flames at his neighbors house.

Craig Hewitt III said, "Oh my gosh... the house is on fire... I've never seen this happen in real life before."

Immediately, Craig jumped over the fence separating his house from the French's, and grabbed this hose to start spraying down his neighbor's house.

Firefighters say his actions saved the whole house from going up in flames.

"I just went with my instincts,"said Craig Hewitt III.

The French family had gone to see their family on the other side of town. They left their dog bambi, at home.

Robert French is beyond thankful. He said, "Oh my Lord... We were so happy that he saw and took the time... cause a lot of times children don't think that way."

"He's a hero and I just thank God... because God had a ram in a bush for us, and I'm just so thankful we have our lives, our home our pet, our everything," said Gail French.

Hewitt said, "If they think I'm a hero... I'll just go with it!"

The fire was caused by the grill, and did $10,000 dollars in damage.

Gail French said , "I was keeping the children from getting burned on it ... but not thinking where I was putting it."

Here are some fire tips from the Tallahassee Fire Department:

-Keep the grill a safe distance from your house or any building.

-Be cautious of what's overhead including, tree branches.

-Never leave the grill unattended, especially when young children or pets are nearby.

-Make sure your coals are cool before leaving them unattended.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Jaded Purple Location: Tally on Aug 2, 2011 at 07:13 AM
    Kudos to Craig...
  • by Steve Location: Marietta, Georgia on Jun 1, 2011 at 04:37 PM
    Yessir! That is a hero! Be aware, his name will come-up again, and there will be no doubt, that this is a hero, and masons will carve his name, into stone, and will be remembered...
  • by Adam Location: Tallahassee on Jun 1, 2011 at 04:28 PM
    Good Job Craig
  • by Sherry Location: wewa on Jun 1, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    Way to go Firefighter Craig!Great Job!
    • reply
      by Steve on Jun 1, 2011 at 04:49 PM in reply to Sherry
      Sherry. When I travel around this Earth, and I describe the dead lakes, panhandle, Florida, They cannot get beyond the word 'WEWA'. The other panhandle Florida word is Sopchoppy! Only 40 miles apart. Craig is the Bomb! Dude! Be the Bomb!
  • by Anonymous on Jun 1, 2011 at 09:11 AM
    Finally, a positive story about the youth in our community! Thank WCTV for sharing this inspirational story! And kudos Craig Hewitt III! What a hero!
WCTV 1801 Halstead Blvd. Tallahassee, FL 32309
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 122902384 - wctv.tv/a?a=122902384
Gray Television, Inc.