Tropical disturbance may enter Gulf, add to local rain chances

By: Brittany Bedi
June 17, 2017

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) -- The tropics are churning over Father's Day weekend.

A couple of disturbances are being monitored. One disturbance is in the Atlantic Basin, about 1,300 miles east-southeast of the southern portion of the Windward Islands. This disturbance has a 40 percent chance of developing into a tropical depression or storm in the next 48 hours. The disturbance has a 60 percent chance of development in the next five days.

Another disturbance near the Yucatan Peninsula is being closely monitored. The area of low pressure is disorganized and mainly a cluster of showers and thunderstorms as of 10 PM. The disturbance will drift northwest and into the Gulf of Mexico around June 19-20. The environment in the Gulf could be favorable for development, but so far is expected to develop into a tropical depression or a weak tropical storm. The area of low pressure has a 40% chance of development in the next two days, and an 80% chance through the next five days. Regardless of development or exact location in upcoming days, the disturbance will increase moisture levels in the Gulf and in the Florida Peninsula. Expect more cloud cover and rain chances around 40% to 60% from Monday through Wednesday in the Big Bend and into South Georgia.