Tenants escape apartment fire on Donovan Drive

By  | 

By: WCTV Eyewitness News
January 4, 2018

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) -- The Tallahassee Fire Department responded to an apartment fire at 3720 Donovan Drive on Thursday morning.

When crews arrived on scene, the flames were already out, but there was still smoke inside the home.

Firefighters say the fire was sparked by a leaking propane tank and a space heater.

The landlord of the property tells us two tenants and a dog inside the building had to jump off of the back deck to escape. One of the tenants was taken to the hospital with minor injuries.

The landlord says the unit sustained significant damage.

Fire officials are reminding residents to take extra safety precautions when heating their homes in the cold weather.

"In regards to heating your home and using portable space heaters, be sure to leave three feet around all heaters, be sure to unplug them or turn them off before you get out of bed or leave your home. If you're using a propane or kerosene heater, make sure to use correct fuel and follow recommendations in using them," said Sarah Cooksey of the Tallahassee Fire Department.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus