• 1 and ¾ cups cake flour
• 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
• ¼ teaspoon baking soda
• 1 and ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon ground ginger
• ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
• ½ teaspoon ground cloves
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• ½ cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
• 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
• 2 large eggs, at room temperature
• 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
• ½ cup full-fat sour cream, at room temperature
• ½ cup whole milk, at room temperature
Brown Sugar Buttercream Ingredients
• 1 cup of unsalted sweet cream butter – softened, not melted
• ½ cup of brown sugar (light or dark)
• 4 cups of powdered sugar
• 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
• Heavy whipping cream, as needed
• 1 teaspoon salt
Caramelized Apple Filling Ingredients
• 4 medium apples
• 3 tablespoons water
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/3 cup sugar
• 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cornstarch
• 2 tablespoons water
DirectionsBrown Sugar Buttercream Instructions
1) Using a handheld mixer or stand mixer, cream together softened butter and brown sugar.
2) Add vanilla and mix until it is combined.
3) Add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time and mix. Slowly at first until the powdered is combined into the butter and sugar mixture.
4) Once combined, mix on medium until creamy.
5) Add in a dash of salt and mix.
6) Add heavy whipping cream 1 teaspoon at a time until you have the frosting at the desired consistency.
Caramelized Apple Filling Instructions
1) Peel, core and dice apples. For the filling to fit inside the cupcakes, try to dice the apples into small chunks.
2) Melt butter and cinnamon over medium heat. Stir in apples, sugar & 3 tablespoons water.
3) Cover and cook stirring occasionally for 4-6 minutes or until very slightly softened.
4) In a small dish, combine cornstarch and water. Add to pan while stirring and continue to cook until apples are soft (not mushy) and filling is thickened. Let bubble 1 minute. Cool.
Cupcake and Assembly Instructions
1) Line a cupcake pan with liners. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2) In a bowl, whisk the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and salt together. Set aside.
3) Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until smooth and creamy (about 1 minute). Add the brown sugar and beat on high speed for 2 minutes until creamed together. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add the eggs and vanilla extract. Beat on medium-high speed until combined, then beat in the sour cream. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl as needed.
4) Spoon the batter into the cupcake pan. To avoid spillage, fill the liners only 2/3 of the way. Bake for 19 - 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before coring the cupcakes and frosting.
5) Using a cupcake corer (you can also use a small cookie cutter or a knife), core the cupcakes. The core should not extend all the way through. Remove the “core”.
6) Using a spoon, spoon the carmelized apples into the cupcake cores. Stuff them as much as possible; but make sure the apples are not overflowing from the core.
7) Frost the cupcakes. Using a utensil and/or a squeeze bottle, lightly drizzle the caramel sauce over the cupcake. Make sure the caramel is room temperature before drizzling the cupcakes to prevent the frosting from melting.