• 2 17-oz. boxes Pillsbury Purely Simple vanilla cake mix*, plus ingredients called for on box (1 stick butter, 1 cup milk, 3 eggs; doubled)
• Juice and zest of 1 1/2 lemons, divided, plus more zest for garnish
• 1 3/4 c. fresh blueberries, divided
• 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
• 1 c. (2 sticks) butter, softened
• 2 1/2-3 c. powdered sugar
• 1/4 c. heavy cream
• 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
• *You can also use your own favorite vanilla cake recipe.... Just keep it natural!
• 3 thin lemon slices
• 1 - 2 strawberries, sliced
• Mint (optional)
Directions• Preheat oven to 350º and grease three 8" round cake pans with cooking spray and coat with flour.
• Prepare cake mix according to package directions, then stir in juice and zest of 1 lemon.
• In a small bowl, toss 1 cup blueberries and flour until completely coated (to keep the berries from sinking).
• Gently fold blueberries into the batter.
• Divide cake batter evenly among prepared cake pans and bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes.
• Let cool in pans for 15 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack and let cool completely (about 30min).
• Frosting: In a large bowl using a hand mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer using the whisk attachment, beat butter and 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar.
• Add remaining lemon juice and zest and heavy cream and beat until combined, then beat in vanilla.
• Place first cake upside down on cake plate and spread a layer of icing over top. For middle cake layer, thinly slice the top of the second cake to make it even across the top and place it on top of first cake. • • Place another thin layer of icing.
For top cake layer, place third cake on top of second and evenly spread remaining icing across the top. You can use more or less icing see depending on the look you're going for (i.e.: if you want the entire cake completely covered, etc.
For Garnish: Place lemon slices slightly overlapping each other in the center of the Cake and garnish with strawberry slices as you like. You can also place a sprig of mint in the center of the Cake for a colorful finish