1 ¾ C. AP Flour
1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Sugar
½ tsp. Salt
¼ C. Cold Butter, cut into cubes
3 Tbsp. Shortening
¾ C. Buttermilk
1 lb. Breakfast Sausage
1/3 C. AP Flour
3 to 4 C. Whole Milk
S&P to taste
Directions1. Begin by preheating the oven to 400F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or use a silpat.
2. In a large bowl stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or fork, cut in butter and shortening, until mixture resembles small peas. Slowly stir in buttermilk, adding addition buttermilk if needed to make a moist dough that sticks together.
3. Using 2 spoons, dived the dough into 5 equal pieces and drop them onto the parchment lined baking sheet.
4. Bake for 22-25 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. While the biscuits cook, break the sausage apart and place over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Cook the sausage until it is no longer pink. Reduce the heat to medium-low.
6. Sprinkle on the flour and stir so the sausage soaks it all up, and then pour in the milk stirring constantly.
7. Cook the gravy, stirring frequently, until it thickens. This may take about 10 to 12 minutes. Sprinkle in the salt and pepper and continue cooking until thick and luscious.
8. If it thickens too much, splash in another ½ cup of milk. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, and serve hot with biscuits!