2 C. All-Purpose Flour
½ C. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
½ tsp. Baking Powder
½ tsp. Salt
1 Stick Unsalted Butter
1 C. Light Brown Sugar
1 Large Egg
1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
1 C. Buttermilk
2 Sticks Unsalted Butter, softened
2 C. Confectioners’ Sugar
1 ½ tsp. Vanilla Extract
One 7.5oz Jar of Marshmallow Fluff
Orange Sprinkles or Sanding Sugar
Directions1. Preheat the oven to 350F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour with the cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter with brown sugar at medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
4. Beat in the egg and vanilla. At low speed, beat in the dry ingredients and buttermilk in 3 alternating additions, and scrape the sides as needed.
5. Using a 3 TBSP ice cream scoop, scoop 12 level mounds onto each baking sheet, about 1 ½ inches apart. Bake the cakes in the lower and upper thirds of the oven for about 16 minutes. Be sure to rotate your pans from to top to bottom and front to back halfway through cooking. Transfer the sheets to cooling racks and let the cakes cool completely.
6. For the filling, in a large bowl beat the butter with the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Beat in the marshmallow fluff.
7. Scrape the filling into a pastry bag fitted with a large plain tip. Pipe the filling onto the flat sides of 12 of the cakes and close the whoopie pies, pressing to evenly distribute the filling to the edges. Roll the edges in the orange nonpareils and serve.