"I love just the character this house has when you walk in. I like the large rooms.”
Bridgette Antonello knew it would take some work to fix up this house. Even with four kids, she was up to the challenge. Then, one by one, their children got sick. Elise has high levels of lead in her blood, Dominick has asthma. They wondered if her house was the culprit.
This team of healthy home inspectors came to find out. Many asthma triggers can be found in the carpet.Windowsills and carpet are also checked for lead. In the bathroom, mold and mildew can be problems, the basement is next. One recommendation, a pleated filter for more efficiency.
"The whole concept of the Healthy Homes Initiative is to not only look for lead, but to look for asthma triggers, look for pesticides in the home."
Bridgette learned the paint in her house does contain lead. She was also given a new vacuum with a special filter to better fight the allergens living in her carpet.
"Whatever is necessary to, you know, make it a safe home for us," says Bridgette.
For more information, contact:
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.