September 19, 2012 - The bright colors and squishy wrapping around laundry detergent capsules are proving to be tempting for children. Hospitals are treating more and more children who've swallowed the gel packs perhaps believing they were candy. So far this year, US poison hotlines have had more than 2,900 calls involving the detergent packs and children under the age of five. According to an article in the British Medical Journal, the detergent in the capsules can destroy tissue and cause intense inflammation and swelling. The American Cleaning Institute's vice president says manufacturers are re-emphasizing the importance of keeping single unit dose laundry detergent packets out of the reach of children.
Also, drinking a non-alcoholic version of red wine seems to lower blood pressure in men who are at high risk for heart disease. Researchers found men who drank regular red wine didn't see much change in their blood pressure after four weeks, while men who drank the non-alcoholic version lowered their risk of heart disease and stroke. Both drinks contained the same amount of antioxidants, but researchers think the alcohol in red wine weakens its ability to lower blood pressure.