May 4, 2012 - A half dozen teenagers in southern California had to be taken to emergency rooms in the past few months over hand sanitizer. Public health officials say they had to be treated for alcohol poisoning after drinking the liquid. Now, officials tell the LA Times, they're worried this could become a dangerous trend. Liquid hand sanitizer is 62 percent ethyl alcohol and makes a 120 proof drink and of course, it's very easy for teens to purchase. Experts say parents should buy foam hand sanitizer because it's harder to distill the alcohol. They also say parents should monitor the sanitizer the way they would liquor or medicine.
Also, the fourth case of mad cow disease was recently reported in the United States. Experts say that after the announcement of the fourth case of BSE, or mad cow disease, in the united states it clearly highlights the need for a comprehensive national animal identification system. Currently the two major US safeguards are a ban on using cattle protein in cattle feed, which can lead to animal-to-animal transmission, and keeping parts of the cow that can carry high concentrations of the disease, such as brains, spinal cords and nervous tissue, out of the food supply. Eating contaminated meat or animal products from cattle with "mad cow disease" is thought to be the cause of a fatal brain disease in humans.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.