Health Alert | WCTV Eyewitness News: Tallahassee, Thomasville, Valdosta

Medical Minute 1-20: The Wheezing Game: What Really Triggers Asthma

By: Ramin Khalili Email
By: Ramin Khalili Email

What does a little traffic, an approaching storm and a little hooch have in common? They can all take your breath away.

"I remember having an asthma attack after playing and actually having to go to the hospital because my rescue inhaler didn't work," said Ian Rideaux.

Doctor Bernard Zeffren says some asthma triggers have nothing to do with increased levels of diesel fuel and tire particles can actually exacerbate asthma.

Ian Rideaux spends all day trying to stay on top of his asthma. 40-thousand Americans feel that same pain each day.

"A lot of times a change in the weather, if it gets too hot or too cold sometimes that triggers it," said Ian Rideaux.

Now doctors say his daily routine may be making matters worse!

"Being near a highway, working-out. Traffic - thunderstorms - alcohol - even aspirin can cause trouble," said Bernard Zeffren, M.D., Allergy and Asthma Consultants. "Things like barometric pressure, temperature changes, emotional stressors and sometimes, rarely certain foods can also contribute."

Here are a few facts about asthma:
~A new setting or climate improves symptoms only in the short run. ~You've got a 30% chance of having asthma if one of your parents has it and a 70% if both parents have it.
~In 50% of sufferers, asthma subsides as a teen. Still - it can pop up again as an adult.

For Ian, the ABC's are clear and that sigh of relief comes from arming himself with the facts.

Bernard Zeffren, MDAllergy and Asthma ConsultantsOviedo, FL(407) 366-7387 ?


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WCTV 1801 Halstead Blvd. Tallahassee, FL 32309
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 114528944