Cotton ginner Van Murphy looks at the wind damaged cotton with thoughts of what might have been.
Van says, "We had one of the best crops we've had in history I would say as far as yields go. Now, we've lost over half of that."
Much of his fortune lies on the ground and a good amount of the cotton that remains on the stem will be left behind during harvesting.
Farmers had hoped their fields would be dry because machinery would have been able to easily remove the cotton. Unfortunately, their bowls are water logged, which means much of the cotton will remain even after harvesting, and that's why many cotton farmers have lost big money.
Like the cotton, peanuts have been left in the field to rot because this ground is so saturated with water.
Johnny Whiddon, Brooks County Extension Coordinator, says, "We only have 25 percent of our peanuts plowed up in Brooks County and the other 75 percent is still in the ground, and a lot of them should have been plowed up two weeks ago."
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.