Fire officials say this sends a powerful message to never, ever leave food unattended on a stove.
Lisa Norris says she has a short, but vital list of rules for her daughter Briana to follow while cooking.
Lisa says, "Stay with the food, don't leave it unattended and try to keep the fire down to a minimum."
The Tallahassee Fire Department says a fire at a Leon County home on La France Trail was sparked Tuesday afternoon after a teenage boy left food unattended on the stove while home alone.
The Tallahassee Fire Department recommends that kids not cook alone at all. They say there are other hazards and concerns than just burning down the home.
Michael Terhune with the Tallahassee Fire Department says, "We see a lot of burns, scolds as a result of small kids trying to pull pots down off the stove, boiling water or grease. We see a lot of burns, bad burns."
Briana says she's always careful, but has a plan just in case.
"Either go get some water first, or go get the fire extinguisher and then go call 911 if it doesn't go out."
TFD says if it is a grease fire, you should cover it with a wet rag instead of pouring water on it. They say with any fire, children should always get out of the house immediately and call 911 from a neighbor's.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.