If you pay sales tax in Leon County, you're paying for many of the road projects in Blueprint 2000.
But there's a split over where that money should go, and if a commitment to the southside of Tallahassee is being kept. Widening various parts of capital circle is a big part of Blueprint 2000.
But now the NAACP is questioning whether a commitment to the southside is being left behind. Cutting keys on Capital Circle Southeast, Jeff Davis watches traffic back up every day.
And as the Southwood development goes in down the road, the backlog may only get worse.
From about old Saint Augustine Road to Tram Road, part of Capital Circle Southeast is slated to get Blueprint 2000 money.
County Commission Chair Tony Grippa says developer Saint Joe will make millions from Southwood, and should pay more for the necessary road improvements.
What's more, the NAACP says a city/county letter in 2000 promised Spring Hill Road would be a Phase I Blueprint project.
But before commissioners got to vote on funding that expansion of Capital Circle Southeast, the courthouse was evacuated by a fire alarm.
No word yet when that meeting will be re-scheduled.
wctv6.com Extended Web Coverage
History of Blueprint 2000
At the joint County/City Commission meeting of Sept. 6, 2000, Commissioners agreed to put the question of the extension of the existing penny sales tax on the Nov. 7, 2000 General Election ballot for the voters of Leon County to decide.
This action culminated approximately two years of thorough consideration of the pros and cons of keeping the penny in place, which included funding a study conducted by Florida TaxWatch, rather than having it expire in 2004.
On Nov. 7, 2000, voters approved the sales tax extension, to commence on Dec. 1, 2004, and extend until Nov. 30, 2019.
A major emphasis and driving force of the sales tax extension was Blueprint 2000 & Beyond.
Blueprint 2000 was developed by a group of citizens representing a broad spectrum of the community including business, environmental and neighborhood interests, called the Economic and Environmental Consensus Committee (EECC).
Their guide to an effective and efficient infrastructure and natural resource management is the basis of the proposed sales tax extension with 80 percent of future sales tax proceeds being committed to Blueprint 2000 projects. The remaining 20 percent would be split 10 percent each to the County and the City for other high priority sales tax eligible projects.
Blueprint 2000 Projects
Widening of Capital Circle NW from I-10 to Blountstown Highway
Widening of Capital Circle SE from Crawfordville Hwy to St. Augustine Road
Franklin Boulevard, Cascades Park, Old St. Augustine Branch reconstruction
Water Quality Program Funding-Phase I
Eastern Leon County groundwater and floodplain protection-Phase I
Lafayette Basin floodplain/greenway land acquisition
Widening of Capital Circle SW from Blountstown Hwy. to Springhill Road
Widening of Capital Circle SW from Springhill Road to Crawfordville Road
Source: http://www.salestaxupdate.com/citytlh/salestax/history.html (Tallahassee Sales Tax Update Web site) contributed to this report.