Boot Camp to Close

The sheriff announces the Bay County Boot Camp is closing its doors in 90 days. The shutdown comes four days after the release of a videotape which shows the beating of 14-year-old Martin Lee Anderson.

Shauna manning says her son told her sheriff’s deputies appeared to target Martin Anderson from the moment he entered the boot camp because they didn’t like the dreadlocks in his hair. She says her son’s complaints of health problems were also ignored just as deputies and a nurse appeared to ignore Martin’s worsening condition during the beating.

Now she says her son has nightmares about what he saw.

Shauna Manning’s son was at the Bay County Boot Camp at the same time as Martin Anderson, the boy who died hours after being roughed up by sheriff’s deputies. She says she had to come forward when her traumatized teen told her he’d seen the whole thing.

Shauna Manning says, "Because I feel bad for this lady and every other child and every other parent of kids that are there that don’t deserve this kind of treatment. It’s terrible. No 14-year-old child deserves what her child went through."

Now the Bay County sheriff says he is closing the boot camp. In a letter to the state Department of Juvenile Justice, the sheriff says the integrity of the program has been compromised and its effectiveness virtually paralyzed.

The Bay County medical examiner is also coming under increasing scrutiny. He blamed Martin’s death on a genetic disorder. Another mother came forward this week, saying autopsies he performed on her husband and daughter were filled with errors.

Martin’s parents’ attorney says it’s just more evidence of incompetence at best.

Benjamin Crump, attorney, says, "Certainly with Miss Terry coming forward with the autopsy report that showed her daughter having testicles and a prostate gland."

But even as the investigations widen, the pain doesn’t go away for Martin Anderson’s parents, or the growing circle of people who say the system hurt their families too.

Shauna Manning’s son was moved to another juvenile facility just days after Martin’s death. Although his complaints of having trouble breathing were originally ignored, she says a doctor was suddenly called in to check on him, agreed his asthma was a concern, and he was given a medical transfer

Martin Anderson’s family is disappointed the sheriff still does not appear to take responsibility for the actions of his deputies.

They released a statement that says: “When will the institutions responsible accept liability for the horrendous acts depicted in the video which led to the death of Martin Anderson?”