People all over our area are joining together for a moment of silence in light of the 52nd Annual National Prayer Day, but this morning also happens to mark a historic event in our area.
Pastors from all denominations in Thomasville are signing a community marriage declaration as part of Prayer Day services. The pact would require couples to undergo at least eight hours of pre-marital counseling before a pastor agrees to marry them.
The preparations were underway this morning at the First Baptist Church of Thomasville for the noon service where people in our area are joining millions of other Americans in prayer.
WCTV6.com Extended Web Coverage
National Day of Prayer Facts
- The National Day of Prayer (NDP) is an annual event established by an act of Congress, which encourages Americans to pray for our nation, its people and its leaders.
- The NDP task Force concentrates on the need to pray for those in leadership on all levels of national, church, and educational areas of influence.
- Billy Graham is the Honorary Chairman for 2001.
- Days of prayer have been called for since 1775, when the Continental Congress designated a time for prayer in forming a new nation.
- In 1863, Abraham Lincoln called for a day of prayer to all Americans.
- In 1952, President Harry Truman signed the National Day of Prayer into law.
- In 1988, President Ronald Reagan, amended the law and established the NDP as the first Thursday of May each year.
- This year NDP has scheduled organized prayer observances in all 50 states.
- New for 2001, the NDP Task Force is reaching out to youths with P.R.A.Y. (Praise, Repent, Ask, Yield) bracelets.
- P.R.A.Y. bracelets come with a wallet-sized card that explains the message of P.R.A.Y.
- NDP theme for 2001 is “One Nation Under God,” based on Psalm 33:12
Source: nationaldayofprayer.org contributed to this report