Fatal House Fire in Wakulla County

Fire ripped through a Wakulla County home around 11 p.m. the evening of July 4. The two-year-old's family was visiting from South Carolina. While everyone was setting off fireworks in the backyard, a fire was brewing inside. It's a tragic story with a valuable lesson.

A Wakulla County home is destroyed and a South Carolina family ripped apart. Their two-year-old child died in a fiery blaze that ripped through a house on 127 Whitlock Way.

“They brought the child out, did CPR to the hospital. Child pronounced dead at TMH,” says MAJ Maurice Langston.

Karl Morgan from the State Fire Marshall's Office says fireworks started the blaze; word around town is they fell into very young hands.

The investigation continues; sheriff's officials say it appears to be accidental and hope folks can learn from this tragedy.

“Whenever you have fireworks and children it is mandatory you have supervision with the children and fireworks,” says MAJ Langston.

Neighbors have pulled together for the families involved, offering them clothes, food and shelter. This is the second fatal fire in six months. Last December, a home explosion killed a man, and fireworks were also to blame in that case.