Tallahassee Man Severely Burned in Kitchen Fire

By  | 

A Life Net helicopter picked up 21-year-old Larry Thomas in front of Godby High School around noon on Friday. Firefighters say he was severely burned at his Ocala Road apartment while trying to remove a burning pot of oil from the stove, spilling the burning oil across his arms and torso.

His neighbor, Vincia Wilson, says she heard his screams for help and called 9-1-1.

"It was horrible/ I gave him shirts to try and cover up his burns to make him feel better. Someone brought ice. I was calling 911, some other people were calling 911 too. It was horrible."

Tallahassee firefighters say they've investigated as many as 60 kitchen fires this year, warning people to never leave cooking food unattended.