Authorities said smoke may have built up in the chimney, causing flames to ignite at a house on Randolph Circle in Tallahassee.
Firefighters said as the weather turns cooler, more people are using their fireplaces and chimneys, but many aren't taking precautions to properly and safely light them up.
"What they need to do is visually inspect their chimneys. It's probably been eight months since they had a fire. They need to make sure their flume is open, make sure there are no nests built in the chimney, and get it prepared to burn," said Chuck Perritt of the Tallahassee Fire Department.
Fire officials said if you are unsure how to check the fireplace, call a professional to get a chimney sweep.