Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

We're talking about Carbon Monoxide, and health officials say the potentially deadly gas, at high levels, can kill in just minutes.

Carbon Monoxide is the number one killer when it comes to poisons, it is the most commonly encountered and can cause a lot of physical suffering.

Now the florid Department of Health is sending a reminder, a warning.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning can happen within minutes, health officials report co is responsible for more deaths than any other poison.

The Florida Department of Health says this time of year, the potential for Carbon Monoxide poisoning increases.

"Carbon Monoxide is a colorless/odorless gas,” Capt. John Dilkes explains.

"It's produced by combustion of fuel. If exposed to it, you could have CO poisoning,” adds Tim Wallace.

Common sources for CO are household combustion appliances, like natural gas furnaces, water heathers, clothes dryers, space heaters and fireplaces.

The reason CO poisoning is so dangerous is because it's invisible, odorless, and tasteless. But the fire department and health officials say a CO detector is a good line of defense.

Some signs to look for that you may have been poisoned, is fatigue, weakness, shortness of breath, chest pains, nausea, vomiting and headaches. Extended Web Coverage

Steps to Reduce Carbon Monoxide Exposure

  • Keep gas appliances properly adjusted.

  • Consider purchasing a vented space heater when replacing an unvented one.

  • Use proper fuel in kerosene space heaters.

  • Install and use an exhaust fan vented outdoors over gas stoves.

  • Choose properly sized wood stoves that are certified to meet EPA emission standards, make sure that wood stoves fit tightly.

  • Have a trained professional inspect, clean, and tune-up central heating systems (furnaces, flues, and chimneys).

  • Repair any leaks in the heating systems immediately.

  • Do not idle your car inside a garage.

Source: States Environmental Protection Agency Web Site)