Early Morning Apartment Fire

The fire happened at the Shamrock Village Apartments just after 1 a.m. The woman living there says she got out just in time.

Mary Cremanas says she was actually trying to figure out why the smoke alarm was going off when she turned around and saw the smoke coming up between the stairs and the wall. She says it was an easy decision to run.

There's not much left of Mary Cremanas' home in Shamrock Village Apartments. She says around 12:30 Friday morning, she was woken up by her smoke alarm.

"I thought maybe it was an error, maybe the batteries were dying, but it kept sounding. I tried to fan it, with a tissue and that's when I heard the other alarm. I turned around and there was black smoke," says Mary.

After seeing the smoke, Mary Cremanas was out the door, dialing 9-1-1 on a cell phone.

"I just ran downstairs, without grabbing any clothes or shoes!" says Mary.

"When we arrived there was smoke all through out the one section of apartments. Upon entering the apartment, it was so full of smoke, we couldn't see," says Lt. Wendy Wilson, of the Tallahassee Fire Department.

Firefighters checked all the attached apartments to evacuate everyone, but say, the fire walls held steady, containing the fire to the one apartment.

"We finally found it started near the water heater. It started on the first floor and made it's way up to the attic," says Wendy.

Cremanas says there is an upside to all of this. Fire fighters say there were four trucks fighting the fire, and it took about 20 minutes to put out. There was smoke damage to three more apartments, and the people who live in those are staying somewhere else until the apartments are repaired.