UPDATE 12.3.09 6:35pm by Julie Montanaro
Two more college students were robbed at gunpoint last night. That's three campus hold ups in three days.
Two FSU students were robbed right in front of the Chi Omega sorority house on West Jefferson Street at about 11 o'clock last night.
According to FSU Police, the two had just left the sorority house when two men walked past them on the sidewalk, pulled out a gun and robbed them.
"I thought it was crazy. I walk around campus at night but to think it was so close. Because I'm in the sorority house, it frightened me just because it could have been me," said FSU freshman Alexandra Rivard, who lives at the sorority house next door.
FSU police are looking for two college-aged black men wearing dark clothing. One of them had a bandana across his face. (See detailed descriptions below.)
This comes on the heels of two robberies on FAMU's campus Monday night and Tuesday night.
FSU police say the two departments are comparing notes, but right now, don't know if the hold ups are linked.
FSUPD Crime Bulletin:
This message has been approved by David Perry, Chief of FSU Police, for distribution to all students currently taking classes, faculty and staff.
On Wednesday December 2, at about 11p.m, two FSU students who were walking together were robbed by two males in the 600 block of West Jefferson Street.
The two students were approached by the suspects on the sidewalk and one of the suspects produced a pistol demanding the victims belongings.
After taking the victims property, the suspects fled.
FSUPD and Tallahassee Police immediately responded to and searched the area but the suspects were gone.
Height 5 ft 9 in to 5 ft 11 in
Armed with handgun
Wearing all dark clothes, possible dark blue or black jeans
Height 5 ft 9 in to 5 ft 11 in
Wearing dark pants, red shirt, and black bandanna covering face
The FSU Police Department is investigating this case and is seeking any information that may lead to the identification of the suspects.
If you or anyone you know saw any suspicious activity in the area of the 600 Block of W. Jefferson St. during, or after the time of the crime, please contact the FSUPD immediately at 850 644 1234.
If you prefer to share information anonymously, you can contact Crime Stoppers at 850 574 TIPS and you may be eligible for a reward of up to 1000 dollars for your information. Remember, Crime Stoppers does not want your name, just your information.
CRIME PREVENTION TIPS:
1. Criminals prefer to isolate their intended targets. Walk with a buddy or near groups of people.
2. Walk in well lighted areas and report any discrepancies (lights out, etc.) to the FSUPD at 644 1234.
3. If you see any persons that make you suspicious, trust your instincts. Go to a safe place and call police. Remember, when in doubt, have the police check them out!
4. Avoid carrying obvious valuable items. Criminals may be enticed by valuable property.
5. Stay aware of your surroundings. Actively survey the area as you walk, and appear alert. Criminals prefer the element of surprise and you may be able to deny them this.
6. Tell someone where you are going and when you intend to return. If you experience an emergency, friends and police will know where to look for you.
7. When parking your car, survey the area before exiting and if you see anyone who makes you feel suspicious, do not get out. Drive away and call police.
8. Remember, if you are robbed, do not risk your safety to protect belongings. Things can be replaced.
This information is brought to you by the FSU Police Department to advise you of important crime information on campus to assist you with making sound personal safety decisions.