WCTV | Tallahassee, Thomasville, Valdosta | News, Weather, Sports

[UPDATE] Zimmerman's Family Wants Black Panthers Arrested

By: Danielle Eldredge; CBS News Email
By: Danielle Eldredge; CBS News Email

Zimmerman's Family Wants Black Panthers Arrested
by Danielle Eldredge

Tallahassee, FL -- April 10, 2912 --

George Zimmerman's family is speaking out. They're calling on Eric Holder to arrest members of the New Black Panther Party.

It comes after the NBPP put a bounty on Zimmerman's head in a recent conference call.

There's a YouTube video circulating posted by breitbart.com. It's reportedly an April 7th conference call hosted by Tampa's division of the New Black Panthers. In it, callers discuss impending violence.

The group's chief of staff, Michelle Williams says, in her words,
"My prize right now this evening is gonna be the bounty, arrest, dead or alive, for George Zimmerman."

She goes on to say, "To every brother, to every female, I'm calling for violence, if non-violence means we continue to postpone the solution to the American black man's problem just to avoid violence.

Amidst the threats, George Zimmerman is now without legal council. His attorneys announced at a news conference they weren't representing Zimmerman any longer.

They say Zimmerman hasn't been returning their phone calls and contacted the prosecutor's office directly earlier this week. They say the last time they spoke with Zimmerman, he was not doing well emotionally.

"I still believe that he was acting in self-defense that night, nothing that I've said about him or this case has changed in any way. I just can't proceed to represent a client who doesn't stay in contact with me," said his former defense attorney Craig Sonner.

As for Zimmerman himself, he's found his own way to speak out. He has a website so he can communicate with his supporters and they can make donations to his cause. A family member confirms that the real George Zimmerman is the site's administrator.

Or checkout Zimmerman's website for more info: www.therealgeorgezimmerman.com
------------------------------------------------------


Zimmerman's lawyers withdraw from shooting case





Attorneys Craig Sonner (left) and Hal Uhrig at a news conference announcing that they are no longer representing George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer who Trayvon Martin, April 10, 2012. (CBS News)


(AP) ORLANDO, Fla. - Attorneys for a Florida neighborhood watch volunteer who fatally shot an unarmed black teen have withdrawn as his counsel, saying they have lost contact with him.



Attorney Craig Sonner said Tuesday in a news conference they haven't heard from George Zimmerman since Sunday. They said that against their advice, Zimmerman contacted the special prosecutor who will decide if he should face charges.


Zimmerman is at the center of an investigation over the shooting of Trayvon Martin, 17. Zimmerman says he shot Martin in self-defense after following him in a gated community in Sanford on Feb. 26.


Martin, who was unarmed, was black. Zimmerman's father is white and his mother is Hispanic. The lack of an arrest has inspired nationwide protests and some claims of racial profiling, which Zimmerman's supporters deny.

-----------------------------------------

Special Prosecutor: No Grand Jury for Trayvon Martin Case

Tallahassee, FL 4/9/12

The Trayvon Martin case will not go to a grand Jury.

Florida special prosecutor Angela Corey announced her decision earlier today. This news just one day before the grand jury was scheduled to meet.

Angela Corey says she's still investigating the case. The difference-- the decision to indict Zimmerman now lies in her hands--not a grand jury's.

As it stands now, Zimmerman says he shot the teen in self-defense. Martin supporters say Zimmerman , a community watchman, racially profiled Martin because he was a black male.

In response to Corey's decision,The Martin family's lawyer Benjamin Crump says:

"We are not surprised by this announcement and, in fact, are hopeful that a decision will be reached very soon to arrest George Zimmerman."

Many are wondering what this means for the controversial case. Tallahassee defense attorney Alex Morris puts it this way. The message delivered today is unclear. He says it means one of two things. Either A, there's insufficient evidence to present to a grand jury ... or B, there's definitive evidence to charge Zimmerman for 2nd degree murder or manslaughter without the opinion of a grand jury.

Now, it's important to note, in the state of Florida, the only cases required to go to a grand jury are first degree murder cases.

-------------------------------------------

STATE REPRESENTATIVE ALAN WILLIAMS STATEMENT ON SPECIAL PROSECUTOR ANGELA COREY DECISION TO NOT SEEK A GRAND JURY

TALLAHASSEE, FL- State Representative Alan Williams (D-Tallahassee) released the following statement today on Special Prosecutor Angela Corey announced that a Grand Jury will not convene in the killing of Trayvon Martin:

“Attorney Angela Corey’s decision today is a positive step in seeking justice for the killing of Trayvon Martin. The purpose of a grand jury is to evaluate and decide whether or not a case has enough evidence to prosecute a suspect. While this does not tell us much, it also does not result as an end in seeking justice for Trayvon’s death.

“Her decision today will allow our justice system to fully investigate the unnecessary death of Trayvon Martin. I remain steadfast that Attorney Corey’s efforts will conclude the obvious – George Zimmerman had no right to play “cop” as to killing an innocent 17 year-old walking home with a bag of skittles and a can of tea. To the community, I urge patience and most importantly prayer as we await the prosecutor final decision.

“Today, we know there will be no grand jury, which also means that the prosecutor knows that at this point, the known evidence does not warrant a self-defense killing. For this reason, I am confident and very optimistic that Prosecutor Angela Corey will continue to investigate this matter, evaluate the evidence, and will arrest George Zimmerman for the murder of Trayvon Martin.”

--------------------------

(CBS News) JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - April 9, 2012 -

State Attorney Angela Corey has decided not to use a grand jury in her investigation into the shooting death of Florida teenager Trayvon Martin.

The grand jury, previously scheduled by the former prosecutor, was set to convene on April 10.

A statement released by her office said that the decision "should not be considered a factor in the final determination of the case."

Corey was appointed by Governor Rick Scott last month to take over the investigation. At that time she said she may not need a grand jury.

Corey, the state attorney for the Jacksonville area, was appointed to take over the case after the local state attorney, Norman Wolfinger, recused himself.

This morning's statement said that the investigation continues, and declined further comment.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WCTV 1801 Halstead Blvd. Tallahassee, FL 32309
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 146675475