Deputy Robert Lundy Returns Home With Some Help [GALLERY]

By Julie Montanaro
April 11, 2014

A Taylor County deputy shot in a car dealership rampage is out of the hospital and back home.

Robert Lundy came home to waving school children and cheering crowds. We were there when he pulled up in the driveway.

Robert Lundy got a police escort all the way from Shands Hospital to his front door in Steinhatchee.

"I've been praying for it for a while. All the people, all the support that I've's just amazing," Lundy said as he greeted friends in the driveway.

Lundy leaned up against the car and was enveloped in hugs. Nearly a hundred people lined up for a chance to shake his hand and embrace him.

"I want to hug everybody I know," Robert Lundy said with a grin.

"I don't even know a word to use to describe it.. .amazing," his wife Kelly said as she wiped away tears.

"We didn't think we would see this day, but we sure have, the Lord's blessed us so much," his mother Linda Fix said.

"It's a miracle that he's here, I know that," his father Bobby Lundy said.

Lundy is credited with saving lives on February 5th. A gunman crashed through the window of Timberland Ford and opened fire. Two employees, Mike Cook and John Mahoney, were shot and Lundy took a bullet too, but he managed to shoot and kill the gunman and radio for help.

Lundy has been in the hospital for more than nine weeks. Everyone clapped as his wife cut off his hospital wrist band.

"Father we just thank you for the way you've blessed Robert..."

Everyone paused to pray and give thanks. He's a walking miracle one woman said.

"I'm just very glad to be home," Robert Lundy said. "I can't wait to spend some quality time with my girls."

The Steinhatchee School brought all the children outside to welcome Deputy Lundy home. They lined the road in front of the school waving yellow ribbons.

All three men shot at the dealership that day survived. According to Timberland Ford owner Brett Falicon, Sales Manager Mike Cook is back to work and Finance Manager John Mahoney is still recovering.

FDLE Spokeswoman Gretl Plesinger says FDLE's investigation into the shooting is still ongoing.

By Julie Montanaro
April 11, 2014

Taylor County Deputy Robert Lundy is back home more than two months after he was shot inside a car dealership in Perry.

Lundy was released from Shands Hospital at about 11 this morning.

Dozens of deputies and patriot riders provided an escort all the way to his home in Steinhatchee.

When Robert stepped out of the car, he was surrounded by family, friends and coworkers from the Taylor County Sheriff's Office.

Everyone bowed their heads and prayed.

Robert Lundy then leaned up against the car with his walker for support. Nearly a hundred people lined up to hug him and shake his hand.

Folks clapped as his wife cut off his hospital band and his mother called it the happiest day of her life.

Lundy and two employees, Mike Cook and John Mahoney, were shot when a man crashed his truck through the dealership window and opened fire. Lundy fired back and killed the gunman. All three shooting victims survived.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus