Morning Fire on Victory Garden Lane [SLIDE SHOW]

By: Tallahassee Fire Department; Matt Galka Email
By: Tallahassee Fire Department; Matt Galka Email

Tallahassee Fire Department Release

Tallahassee, FL - October 30, 2012 - 3:30 pm - At 9:30 a.m., units from the Tallahassee Fire Department responded to the report of a multi-residential apartment fire in the 400 Block of Victory Garden Drive. Upon arrival, units reported heavy smoke coming from the three story apartment building. As fire crews searched the structure for victims, they encountered heavy fire in the attic and fireplace chase. The occupant was home at the time of the fire and quickly evacuated when a neighbor advised him about the smoke coming from the attic. The occupant did have a fire burning in the fireplace at the time of the fire. Firefighters extinguished the blaze and worked to salvage personal belongings on lower floors. Residents from six nearby apartment units were also evacuated. Damages were estimated at $80,000 and although the family of four was displaced from the apartment unit, they are being offered another unit by the apartment management staff. No injuries were reported at the scene and the Tallahassee Police Department and Leon County EMS were also on scene. The fire was a result of flame spread from the fire box to the fire chase and eventually to the attic.

As cooler weather moves into Tallahassee and the heating season gets underway, the Tallahassee Fire Department reminds you to practice safe heating. Nationally, heating fires are the second leading cause of residential home fires and account for approximately 150 deaths, 575 injuries, and $326 million in property loss. Almost 90 percent of these fires originated in chimneys, flues, or fuel burners.

Home heating fires are preventable if you practice the following safety tips:
--Maintain heating equipment and chimneys by having them cleaned and inspected
annually by a qualified professional.
-- Use heating equipment that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
-- All heaters need space. Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment.
-- Plug space heaters directly into outlets and never into an extension cord or power strip.
-- Install and maintain carbon monoxide (CO) alarms inside your home to provide early warning of CO.

For more fire safety information visit www.talgov.com/fire


Tallahassee, FL - October 30, 2012 - 11:13 am - A fire occurred at 9:30 am this morning at Wind Rush Apartments on Victory Garden Lane. The fire started in a 2nd floor apartment of a three story complex. No one was injured.

Residents lit a fire in the fireplace, but the fire escaped the firebox of the fire place, traveling up the chase and burning into the attic.

The ceiling collapsed which ignited the contents of the third floor. The 2nd and 3rd floor has fire and smoke damage. The 1st floor has water damage. The complex has suffered an estimated $80,000 in damages.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WCTV 1801 Halstead Blvd. Tallahassee, FL 32309
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 176424921 - wctv.tv/a?a=176424921