Crawfordville, FL-November 21, 2012
Cooking was to blame for more than 150,000 fires across the U.S. in 2010.
Firefighters say these are some of the most common and preventable fires and warn if you don't pay attention to what's cooking on the stove, your home could go up in flames.
Around 12:37 a.m. Wednesday, a Crawfordville home along Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Road caught fire.
A woman inside the home called 9-1-1.
Firefighter say she was cooking on the stove and left the room for a moment, when she returned, the kitchen was in flames.
Firefighters say no one was hurt in the fire. But two people are displaced and firefighters say the fire caused roughly $150,000 worth of damage to the home.
"Unfortunately, cooking is one of the major causes of house fires," says Wakulla County Fire Chief, Mike Morgan.
Morgan has been putting out fires like these for more than four decades.
"Most of the time it is because something has either malfunctioned in the stove or that the people have left the stove unattended. And when it's left unattended, it only takes seconds before something tragic like behind us happens," says Morgan.
Morgan says to always make sure someone is watching the food. And if you're using one of those deep-fryers that are so popular this time of year, make sure it's done outside in an area that's away from people and your home.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.