Tallahassee Fire Department Release: TFD Responds to Fire Started by Chimney Ashes, Family Treated for Smoke Inhalation
November 19, 2012
At around 4:30 this morning, the Tallahassee Fire Department responded to a reported house fire in the 3100 Block of Whitney Drive. The first unit on scene reported smoke showing and quickly extinguished a fire on the back patio. The fire was discovered by the homeowner who had recently placed ashes from the fire box on the back porch. The residents were alerted by smoke detectors in the home and quickly called 9-1-1.
The ashes left outside were still too hot to be left unattended and started a fire that filled the house with smoke. Damages were estimated at $60,000 and the family of five was treated for smoke inhalation and transported to a local hospital by Leon County EMS.
The Tallahassee Fire Department would like to remind citizens to follow some simple safety tips when removing fireplace ashes by allowing ashes to cool before disposing of them. Place ashes in a tightly covered metal container and keep the ash container at least 10 feet away from your home and any other nearby buildings. Never empty ashes directly into a trash can. Douse and saturate the ashes with water. Also remember that smoke detectors should be properly installed and maintained.
For more fire safety information visit www.talgov.com/fire
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.