By: Lanetra Bennett
December 27, 2013
Tallahassee, FL - The man escaped a house fire with his family is treated at the hospital for smoke inhalation.
Joseph Sams says his wife woke him up around 2:00 Thursday morning, and their house was engulfed in flames.
Firefighters say they were able to quickly extinguish the fire that was contained to one room of the Galimore Drive home in Tallahassee. However, they say there was smoke damage throughout the home.
Sams says, "I told my wife to get on her hands and knees and we started crawling to the back. We made it back to my kids room and I managed to knock that window out in their back room. From the oldest son all the way down to the dog, I just started throwing people out the window. God is good. That about all sums it up because we're not supposed to be here."
Sams says he was treated at the hospital Friday.
He says the fire was caused by an electrical heater. Firefighters estimate damage at about $130,000.
The Red Cross is assisting the family.
Press Release: Tallahassee Fire Department>
At 2:00 a.m. this morning firefighters from Station 3 and Station 1 were dispatched to a house fire in the 3100 Block of Gallimore Drive.
Firefighters arrived on scene to find smoke and fire coming from the front door of a single story residential structure. Crews were also able to make contact with the occupants and they assured that everyone was out of the structure.
Tallahassee Fire Department personnel were able to quickly extinguish the fire that was contained to one room, however, there was smoke damage throughout the home.
The fire caused approximately $130,000 in damages and was determined to be electrical in nature by investigators from TFD and the State Fire Marshall’s Office.
No injuries were reported from this incident.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.