doctor is measuring the pulse of her patient
By Greg Gullberg
March 20, 2013
Live Oak, FL - You wouldn't know it through her laughter and playful behavior, but 11-year-old Chloe Ogle is fresh from the hospital after suffering a bite from a rattle snake.
The Live Oak resident spent three days at Shands Hospital in Gainesville after being bitten Saturday. She was at the Wild Azalea Festival running a concession stand with her sister Lindsey, called the "College Fund Store", so named for obvious reasons. And that's where she got the scare of her life.
"I had my hand in the grass and the snake came and bit me. It hurt, a lot," Chloe said.
Chloe says it still hurts a little today.
Chloe was bitten by a Dusky Pygmy Rattlesnake. They're generally not that big, usually around 20 inches. But they can be very aggressive.
There was never any real fear of her dying, but she's lucky she didn't loose a limb. She has little red dots on her right hand finger from the snake's fangs. And doctor's markings show how far the venom had spread up her arm before it was finally stopped with anti-venom.
You never really know where you're going to find a Pygmy Rattlesnake and that's part of what makes them so dangerous. They're mostly found here in Florida. And it's important to educate kids about them because unlike other snakes they don't seem to be that afraid of humans. In fact, they often turn up in people's backyards.
Chloe says there's an important lesson in all of this.
"If I see a snake, don't bother it," Chloe said.