Tallahassee, FL - September 20, 2012
This morning at 10:11 a.m., firefighters from Stations 3,1 and 4 responded to the report of a kitchen fire in the 900 Block of Balkin Road. Upon arrival, firefighters reported heavy smoke coming from the single-single story wood frame house. Crews found a fire on the stove in the kitchen and quickly extinguished the flames.
The occupant made it out of the home safely and told fire officials that she left cooking unattended and was alerted by a smoke detector. No injuries were reported at the fire and damages were estimated at $15,000. The Red Cross assisted the family at the scene of the fire. It is uncertain whether or not the family will have to vacate the home due to the damage.
The Tallahassee Fire Department reminds you to “watch what you heat”. The leading cause of fire in the kitchen is unattended cooking, so always stay in the kitchen when you’re frying, grilling, or broiling food. Head over to www.talgov.com/fire for more fire safety information.