The website Craigslist.com is a popular website where people can connect to meet others, sell items, or advertise events. But it can be dangerous if you're not careful.
When meeting someone for the first time there are a few simple tips to help keep you safe.
Always insist on meeting in a public place, and meet on your terms, not theirs.
Don't invite strangers into your home.
Always take your cell phone with you.
If you're traveling to meet someone, tell a friend or family member where you're going.
And always trust your instincts, if someone seems suspicious, leave and call police.
Tallahassee Police Department Release
Craigslist is a popular website where people can connect to meet others, sell goods, or advertise events. However, dangers can exist if you don't take proper precautions. Crimes are occurring every day in cities across the United States.
Tallahassee Police Department would like to remind you that as a buyer or seller on Craigslist, there are simple precautions you can take to help protect yourself:
When meeting someone for the first time, please remember to:
- If buying or selling high value items insist on a public meeting place. Meet on your terms, not theirs.
- Do not meet in a secluded place.
- Do not invite strangers into your home.
- Be especially careful when buying or selling high value items.
- Take your cell phone along if you have one.
- If you traveling to meet someone as a buyer or seller, tell a friend or family member where you’re going…or better, have someone accompany you.
- Trust your instincts; if someone or something seems suspicious, leave the area and call the police.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.