News Release: Tallahassee Fire Department
The Tallahassee Fire Department responded to its first structure fire of the year early this morning at the Azalea Place apartment complex located at 600 Victory Garden Drive.
The call was received at 1:19 a.m. by a resident stating that the building was on fire and that everyone was out of the apartment safely.
The first arriving fire crews from Fire Station 6 reported heavy fire blazing from the roof of the two-story apartment building. Firefighters extended a large ladder truck with an elevated fire stream to help get the blaze under control.
The majority of the fire was knocked down in twenty minutes but it took fire crews nearly one hour to completely extinguish all of the fire.
The fire started on the first floor apartment unit inside the fireplace box and spread into the walls and into the second floor apartment. The fire heavily damaged two apartment units and caused significant smoke and water damage in two additional units.
Damages from the fire were estimated at $250,000, and no injuries were reported at the scene.
Eight people were displaced as a result of the fire, and the Red Cross assisted those needing temporary housing.
Leon County EMS and TPD also assisted at the scene.