Fatal Accident in Apalachicola Forest, Arrest Made

By: Eyewitness News; Jerry Askin Email
By: Eyewitness News; Jerry Askin Email

[UPDATE] November 10, 2011 -

Wakulla County Sheriff’s Office investigators arrested a 26-year-old Crawfordville man Nov. 9 who was a passenger in a fatal traffic crash that occurred Tuesday, Nov. 8 in the Apalachicola National Forest, according to Sheriff Donnie Crum.

Phillip Joshua Strickland was charged with failure to remain at the scene of an accident involving death. Strickland was a passenger in a vehicle that crashed on Forest Road 329 and killed Misty Dawn Eversoll, 25, of Sopchoppy.

Eversoll was eastbound on the road when her 1997 Chevrolet truck left the road on a curve, began to rotate clockwise and overturned in a ditch. She was partially pinned underneath the vehicle and died at the scene. Eversoll and her vehicle were discovered in a ditch by a motorist at 5:18 p.m. The motorist was a beekeeper who was traveling to his apiary.

“During the course of the investigation, deputies discovered blood on the passenger side of the vehicle and discovered that Eversoll had been with Strickland running errands earlier in the day,” said Undersheriff Maurice Langston.

Strickland was picked up at his Crawfordville home and denied being involved in the crash during the interview process. But he later admitted being at the scene with Eversoll and walking away from the crash to a friend’s home in the Sopchoppy area.

Strickland was charged after failing to contact the sheriff’s office, render aid or get assistance for the victim from the passing motorist. He remains in the Wakulla County Jail.

The truck the victim was driving also experienced mechanical problems during the course of the afternoon and deputies are still investigating to determine what factors were involved in the fourth traffic fatality on Wakulla County roads in 2011.

_____________________

UPDATE: November 9, 2011 at 6:10pm by Jerry Askin

Deputies say 25-year old Misty Eversoll died Tuesday when she was driving on a forest road in the Apalachicola National Forest. They say she lost control of her SUV and it rolled over.

"Everyone should feel sorry for the family and wish them the best and hopefully they'll be able to get through it all," says Jack Collins, Wakulla County Resident.

Wakulla County Sheriff deputies say there have been 4 fatal accidents within the past year - Two happened within the past 2 weeks. That's why they say it's important to always wear your seatbelt.

"We believe that some of these fatalities could have been avoided if people would have worn their seat belts," says Maurice Langston from the Wakulla County Sheriff's Office.

Deputies say Eversoll was not wearing her seatbelt Tuesday evening. She was partially ejected from the vehicle and died from her injuries. And buckling up isn't enough - officers say make sure you're doing it the right way.

"Make sure the shoulder strap is correctly positioned and the lap strap is properly positioned as well," says Langston.

According to the National Safety Council seat belts saved more than 75,000 lives between 2004 and 2008.

According to the CDC, men are 10% less likely to wear seat belts than women and adults who live in rural areas are 10% less likely to wear seat belts than those who live in urban areas.
_________________________________________________
Wakulla County, FL - November 8, 2011 --

WCSO reports a fatal accident happening early this evening in Apalachicola Forest.

Deputies say Misty Dawn Eversoll, 25, lost control of the 1997 Chevy truck she was driving on eastbound Forest Road 329 at around 5:15 pm. WCSO tells WCTV that the truck rolled over when Eversoll tried to over correct the vehicle. She was not wearing a seatbelt and was partially ejected.

No other injuries were reported.

• by Anonymous Location: crawfordville on Nov 22, 2011 at 09:52 AM
    he lied he belong in jail
      by Well then on Nov 23, 2011 at 07:00 PM in reply to
      He knew he would go to jail because of the warrant in Mississippi, and thats prolly why he lied. Even though that still isnt right to lie and it was wrong. That's prolly what happend. Cause I don't think wcso would be dismissing his charges if he was at fault or guilty.
  • by Just so you know.... Location: Wakulla on Nov 18, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    It's not josh's fault what happend to misty, it's no ones fault. This was a freak accident and only god knows why misty is no longer with us. Forensics determend that misty was the driver, and died from her injuries sustained during the accident. Josh got knocked out during the accident and when he came to, he realized what happend, looked for misty and by that time it was to late for her. Josh panicked and begin to walk to get phone service and while he was gone, the motorist come along and found the wreck and called 911. After all, now the charges that were recently brought up against him, we're dropped and the ONLY reason josh remains in jail is due to a warrant from Mississippi. It's funny how the news is quick to report arrest, not knowing the whole story and mislead people and when the person they were reporting about, is proven innocent of what he's been accused of, they don't say a thing.. My deepest sympathys to misty's family and friends, I hope they find peace thru out all this pain they are going through.
  • by Annominous on Nov 17, 2011 at 08:14 PM
    Just for everyone's info, the charges were dismissed.
  • by just a word for all Location: WAKULLA on Nov 13, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    I would like to say to all that have a problem with the road, frist off if the road is not county mantained then you do not have to have on the seat belt on. ( I do belive this is the law) Also check out some of the story's as to people that have died with the seat belt on, ( a few years back the driver could not get the belt off the younger brother also a bystander tried to get the belt off the younger passinger he died by BURNING TO DEATH AlIVE in that seat belt as the older siser could do not do any thing but watch. So not in all casses that seat belt saves your life. I have been driving and put on the breaks and my seat belt has come off, I am 47 and thought I had it on, there are times when I have trouble getting if off...So lets all be nice. It was Misty time God dont make mistakes and it was her time. ( If Misty was your family or friend just dont listen to the simple minded people. RIP MISTY ALLEN
  • by Anonymous on Nov 13, 2011 at 11:52 AM
    even though you are his sister you do not know what really happened.you only know what he wants you to know.its to bad we cant hear both side's of this story. This is not about your poor brother being in jail because he left who was suppose to be his friend,and did not call help for her. this is about a young mother, sister, daughter, FRIEND, who lost her life. if you or anyone else has any more comments that does not pertain to the life or death of this woman then don't leave any more comments please, but if you feel like you should have pity on this man then please feel free to call the Wakulla County jail and leave your thoughts and comments there.
  • by Terri Location: Tallahassee on Nov 12, 2011 at 10:04 AM
    When I read this article and that the driver died in the accident and the passenger went home, not once did it come to my mind that these two people were cheating with each other. A person died here. She is not coming back. She left two small children behind. Apparently you do not know what that feels like. I pray to God that you never do. To say bad things about the person who has passed is horrible. I cannot even imagine. As far as the passenger, it sounds to me as if he was in shock and any decent attorney will be able to get him out of jail. My heart goes out to all of you, my father was killed instantly in a car accident and I never had a chance to talk to him again. I will pray for her children and family and friends as well as the passenger and his family and friends. Always remember - but for the grace of God go I.
  • by Strickland Location: homosassa on Nov 12, 2011 at 06:33 AM
    I know you are not calling me a moron!
  • by charlene Strickland Location: homosassa fl. on Nov 11, 2011 at 06:55 PM
    This 26 year old man is my brother. He was not in his right mind. The accident knocked him out that's how the cops got his blood. Josh is not a bad person and he has a big heart. He was just scared and shookin up. When he got out of the truck and found her she had already passed and it scared him even more cause he has never seen a dead body before. My brother regrets not calling for help. He was traumatized and didn't know what to do. And it's not his fault the accident happened . Its not no body's fault thats why its called an accident! I am truly sorryfor the families loss and I hope that u can find it in your heart to forgive my brother. Like I said he was traumatized he doesn't deal with death very well and was also scared the cops would think he was driving and be charged with vehicular manslaughter. My love and condolences from the bottom of my heart goes out to the family and the children she left behind ... God felt it was time to bring his angel home. Just remember she may begone physically but Shea here spiritually and is watching over her babies
      by God Bless America on Nov 12, 2011 at 05:47 AM in reply to charlene Strickland
      He might have been in shock, I can feel for the guy. I bet it was not intentional.Now it's something he has to live with.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 11, 2011 at 03:32 PM
    Just another case of a driver going too fast for conditions and their ability. ho-hum
  • by By not a lawyer Location: Wakulla on Nov 11, 2011 at 06:41 AM
    My heart goes out to the family. But the friend had to leave after she passed away in his arms to get help! There was no phone service where they were...no doubt he was terrified and scared...she didn't die alone! People need to know more facts in the case before judging by what only the media portrays! When someone close to me passed tragically the news totally misconstrued the truth and it' looks like they need to know the the facts before publicly announcing the accusations and here say in respect for her family.
      by charlene Strickland on Nov 11, 2011 at 07:00 PM in reply to By not a lawyer
      Thank you. My brother is a loving person. He was very traumatized. He doesn't do well with death. My grandmother was like his mom and when she passed he went awall. All I ask is that you guys have mercy cause when something like this happens and the circumstances you never know what anyone will do
        by Paula McCord on Nov 14, 2011 at 02:50 PM in reply to charlene Strickland
        Charlene, I am sorry for what your brother is going through. I know that we all react differently to things. I wish he hadn't left. I loved Misty dearly and again, I AM sorry for what your family is going through as well.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 133505938 - wctv.tv/a?a=133505938