Police: Gas from McDonald's Soda Fountain Caused Georgia Death

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

Police: Gas from McDonald's Soda Fountain Caused Georgia Death

Poller, GA -- September 14, 2011 --

Police say leaking carbon dioxide gas is to blame for the death of an 80-year-woman who passed out in a restroom at a McDonald's restaurant in southeast Georgia.

Pooler Police Chief Mark Revenew said Wednesday investigators
found carbon dioxide used to inject carbonation into the
restaurant's soda fountain had been leaking between the walls and
into the restroom, where two women were found unconscious Sept. 7.
The gas is normally harmless, but enough of it had escaped that it
displaced air the women needed to breathe.

Several people at the restaurant needed medical treatment. One
of them, Anne Felton of Ponte Vedra, Fla., later died at a
hospital.

Revenew says owners of the restaurant west of Savannah replaced
the gas lines and he does not expect to press criminal charges.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Police: Woman Dies After Breathing Fumes at a McDonald's in Georgia

Poller, GA (AP) -- September 8,, 2011 --

Authorities say an 80-year-old Florida woman has died after being sickened by fumes at a McDonald's restaurant in south Georgia.

Pooler police Chief Mark Revenew says Anne Felton of Ponte
Vedra, Florida., died early Thursday. She and her husband were
customers at the restaurant. An autopsy will be conducted to
determine cause of death.

Felton was one of ten taken to the hospital Wednesday after
firefighters found two customers unconscious inside a restaurant
bathroom and others struggling to breathe. Eight were treated and
released and two were admitted for treatment.

Authorities said Wednesday they suspected cleaning chemicals in
the restroom were to blame, but the cause was still under
investigation.

The restaurant was evacuated but McDonald's later said the
restaurant had reopened after authorities deemed it safe.

-


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Jake on Sep 16, 2011 at 04:26 PM
    It was terrorism!
  • by wow on Sep 15, 2011 at 05:50 AM
    I hope these people sue or get a fancy out of court settlement!
  • by So.... Location: FL on Sep 14, 2011 at 09:23 PM
    Now that we know it isn't cleaning products, don't you think you owe these employees an apology for all your negative comments? They were just doing their jobs, working along, subjected to the same gasses. Who inspects these lines? Are they inspected when they come in for the routine restaurant inspections? Maybe they should be.
  • by HMA on Sep 14, 2011 at 06:04 PM
    The lawyers are salivating over this one!!!!
  • by just saying on Sep 14, 2011 at 04:11 PM
    Was the person that used that cleaning stuff get sick? Didn't they smell the fumes? That it was to strong?
  • by off course on Sep 14, 2011 at 03:33 PM
    you can be dayum sure I would file a lawsuit
  • by david Location: Hawaii on Sep 13, 2011 at 07:02 PM
    Jen had it right about mixing bleach with ammonia. I have been told that produces poison phosgene gas. Chemistry was never a requirement to work at McD's.
    • reply
      by A on Sep 16, 2011 at 05:19 AM in reply to david
      But that's not what happened here so try not to lash out at the employees who were subjected to the same dangers. I doubt the people taking orders and flipping burgers were even allowed to get near these tubes and why would they
  • by DTH Location: Tallahassee on Sep 10, 2011 at 06:06 AM
    I think this is someone testing for something bigger.
  • by Georgia Boy Location: Cairo on Sep 10, 2011 at 03:48 AM
    Staneshia, I hope your statement was meant differently than it sounds. It would appear you would be most willing to sacrifice the life or health of a family member to get free money.
    • reply
      by Steve Not in Marietta on Sep 10, 2011 at 10:30 AM in reply to Georgia Boy
      GA. Free is free. I am saddened by the death of this lady. With that said, I recall when 'SKYLAB' was coming out-of-orbit, NASA offered a bounty to people whom recovered parts of the space station. They simply had to recover a part or pieces, and they recieved $$$! There were people forming organizations(like military units)to go get the stuff. I,m just sayin'. Thanx
  • by Sharon on Sep 9, 2011 at 09:11 PM
    how many employees were injured?
  • Page:
WCTV 1801 Halstead Blvd. Tallahassee, FL 32309
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 129491038 - wctv.tv/a?a=129491038
Gray Television, Inc.