Vigil Remembers Child Killed in Crash

By: Mike Springer Email
By: Mike Springer Email

Dozens gathered inside a church on North Monroe Street Saturday to remember the life of a 5-year-old boy police say was killed by a drunk driver.

"I loved him so much and it's been a tough year. I still miss him. But I try to go on," says Catherine Butler, Cammeren's grandmother.

And going on has been tough for the Butler family who lost five year-old Cammeren Jones a year ago Saturday. Jones was killed when police say a drunk driver rammed into the back of the car he was in.

"I didn't know how I would get through this day by myself. So I needed the support of my family," says Candance Butler, Cammeren's mother.
That support came from the dozens who gathered by candle light at the Greater Saint Mark's Baptist Church to remember the life they all love and miss.

"And it seems like the angel smiles to me. He had a beautiful smile. He was special," says his grandmother.

Others like Amy Ray see the anniversary of Cammeren's death as a consistent reminder of the dangers of drunk driving and the heartache it can cause.

"He was a light and we home and pray this is something everyone realizes is so important, not to drink and drive so that you won't be the one, don't you be the one, that takes away a precious life," says Amy Ray a family friend.

Tallahassee Police charged Roger Homminga with DUI manslaughter in connection with the accident. He returns to court February 14.

• by sorry for your lost Location: Tampa fla on Mar 10, 2012 at 03:54 PM
    I pray that God gives both of these families the strength to go on.A mother never plans to bury a child it's not the way it should be. I totally disagree with this man sentence But your conscience will never rest we must love and protect our children as adults we must act as adults you were drunk this isn't a mistake and though 8years will go by your consciousness will still be here. GOD BLESS U LITTLE GUY HEAVEN SO MUCH BRIGHTER!
  • by So Sad Location: Tally on Jan 30, 2012 at 12:59 PM
    Gosh, it's been a whole year already..... such a sad story!! The person who did this ought to sit in PRISON for no less then 15 years for taking such a young preious soul from us much to SOON!!! My thoughts and prayers are with the family!! :-(
  • by momofone Location: tally on Jan 29, 2012 at 06:47 PM
    So sad for this family. After this accident last year I searched for and found a big safe car in hopes of protecting my baby from an accident like this. The driver of the truck should not be able to drive again, ever.
  • by Dee Location: Tallahassee on Jan 29, 2012 at 04:21 PM
    So this drunk driver kills a kid and it sounds like he's roaming free. No wonder these people keep right on drinking and driving. The one who killed Brooks Rogers on Oct. 30 is STILL walking around free as a bird (and partying). What a sorry justice system we have. This is the same as premeditated murder.
  • by alabama on Jan 28, 2012 at 09:42 PM
    This why we should tax beer. This 5 year old didn't even get to enjoy this world. But the only good about this he is God's angel now
      by Docker on Jan 29, 2012 at 01:57 PM in reply to alabama
      Beer is heavily taxed. Taxes are not the answer to everything. Do not drive while drinking. When you do drive, obey the laws.
  • by Gerald Grooms Location: Boston, MA. on Jan 28, 2012 at 08:47 PM
    My deepest prayers to the family of Master Cammeren Jones. May Gods arms continue to hold you all close to His heart, and I pray that you'll receive some justice & peace within the justice system.
      by Merchelle Davis on Jan 30, 2012 at 07:33 AM in reply to Gerald Grooms
      My heart melts every-time I think about this family and what they have went trough. I commend Candance for helping with raising awareness! If she can get through to just one person, then that is one more life that will be spared. RIP Camm I know you are your moms and sister little angel..xoxo
  • by @little guy on Jan 28, 2012 at 08:47 PM
    RIP
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138272599 - wctv.tv/a?a=138272599