Family Planning vs. Family Finances

By: Christine Romans Email
By: Christine Romans Email

11/25/2011 --

There's a new debate at the dinner table: family planning versus family finances. More couples now take money into account when deciding whether to expand their family.

Laurie and Ryan Parthemore want to have another baby, but the economy stands in their way.

"Two would scare the heck out of me because to have childcare costs times two. I mean that's another big chunk of change," said Ryan Parthemore.

The couple spends $11,000 on child care for Olivia. She's one and and a half years old. Ryan, a detective, gets extra income working in his family's business; but Laurie's job is a major factor in their family planning.

14 out of 21 people have been laid off at the child care association where she works. Laurie isn't sure if she'll have a job come January.

"I'm 39 now and so there's a window and that window closing while the job window closes at the same time or potentially will close - it's a little unnerving," said Laurie.

Women are already waiting longer to have kids -- and they are having fewer of them. In 2010, 4 million babies were born in the us -- down from the peak of 4.3 million in 2007.

226,920 dollars to be exact. According to the government. Up more than $60,000 from 10 years ago.

Dr. Jacques Moritz has delivered about 3,000 babies. "There's no doubt that the economy matters in having children. It has mattered throughout history. In the depression, it went down. In other recessions it went down and in boom times it goes up," said Dr. Moritz.

"Couples are telling me that, the economy is tight, having a kid is a great expense. I think a bigger expense up in your head than in reality, but still, people think about kids and college and education and all the costs involved, they're right. So they're seeing the moment right now, how could we ever do this and they're postponing it."

Mortiz says women think they can't afford to have a baby; but for many, they can't afford to wait.

"The stock is up, the stock is down, but the stock of the eggs is always going down basically every year we get older," said Dr. Moritz.

• by Anonymous on Dec 5, 2011 at 05:23 AM
    I want to thank my wife for six beautiful children,they have kept me engaged in my profession, attentive at home despite many hard times. Now with the last two a few short years from going to the college we would never have afforded without home schooling and florida pre paid fund which we paid every month . No bullies, no delinquents, and they call each other FB each other and come to each others concerts and games. It was hard work, but I can't imagine life without any one of them,
  • by Jim Location: Gadsden County on Nov 28, 2011 at 06:43 AM
    Do not commit yourself to more than you can afford. Children or anything else in life.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 26, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    If you wait for the perfect time to have kids, you'll never have any.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 26, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    I just want to know where they send their daughter that costs $11000. I have more than one child, and I pay that combined for mine. Budgeting is key, and it starts with choosing a more affordable day care. As parents we all want the best for each of our kids, but I would NEVER pay $11000 for daycare for just one child.
      by Anonymous on Nov 26, 2011 at 12:37 PM in reply to
      If you had the money, you would.
  • by Natalie Location: Tallahassee on Nov 25, 2011 at 03:40 PM
    The hard-right, lunatic christians believe in forced childbirth regardless of ANY circumstances. If they had their way, there would be no birth control either. Of course, they are AWOL with regard to adoption, assistance to unwed mothers, and benefits for indigent families. The hypocrisy is unending when it comes to right-wing, preachy "values" folks versus struggling families in need. So much for the christian value of caring for the "least fortunate among us".
      by anonymous on Nov 26, 2011 at 03:16 PM in reply to Natalie
      Your post is idiotic. Conservative here who believes in birth control, and hates that more folks don't use it. I'd have kids if I thought I was able to afford it. As it turns out, I'm responsible.
      by r.u. serious? on Nov 26, 2011 at 08:10 PM in reply to Natalie
      I don't know what hard-left, lunatic source you have gleaned this information from, but you are wrong on all points. Of all the misinformed comments that have been posted on this board, your's is probably in the top 5.
  • by Frances Location: Tallahassee on Nov 25, 2011 at 01:31 PM
    You don't have to worry about being able to afford a child, the GOVERNMENT will provide ALL you and the little one need. How's that for an irresponsible attitude? Unfortunately that's how half of America feels.
  • by dog Location: gone on Nov 25, 2011 at 09:32 AM
    Even Judge Judy, Judge Mathis,and Judge Joe Brown think it's IRRESPONSIBLE to have Kids YOU can't SUPPORT.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 25, 2011 at 06:50 AM
    Anyone who does not consider money in their family planning is irresponsible. The doctor quoted is apparently looking out for his own job security and not for the good of the child. I am all about finding a way to have the children you want but it should not make you destitute to do so.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 134488893 - wctv.tv/a?a=134488893