Occupy Atlanta Protesters Granted More Time

By: Christopher King Email
By: Christopher King Email

ATLANTA, GA -- October 18, 2011 -

Occupy Atlanta protesters can stay in Woodruff Park for at least three more weeks. Mayor Kasim Reed extended his executive order, originally scheduled to expire Monday, through Nov. 7.

Tim Franzen with Occupy Atlanta says he would rather see the city deal with unemployment and homeless issues than worry about protesters camping in a city park.

"I hope that Mayor Kasim Reed and those in city council that have been talking about how to get rid of us can start really addressing the reasons why we're out here instead of addressing us being here," said Franzen

Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed says it's important the city of Atlanta respect non-violent protesters. "We have to be very thoughtful in Atlanta about a global image of our city arresting a massive amounts of people...I'm weighing how they respond to reasonable requests so that government can continue to function and citizens can continue to function," said Mayor Reed.

Now even local churches have joined the occupation. Civil Rights pioneer Joe Beasley spoke at a ministry set up right in the middle of Woodruff Park, adding he'll be on the front line when police begin evicting the protesters.

"November the seventh, when we're dragged out of the park, I want to be one of the first ones dragged out to go to jail and so we're going to stand with Occupy Atlanta," said Beasley.

• by wakeup on Oct 20, 2011 at 03:50 AM
    These people are out of work for a reason. Just because your fortunate enough to have kept a job with incredibly high national unemployment rates doesnt mean that something isnt incredibly wrong with our country. Who is responsible? Is it the amount of money you and I pay in for welfare? Well I'm kinda thinking that maybe we shouldn't be so worried about the small Leach sucking on us but the bankers who slid in behind us and cut deep to bleed us dry. Think about it....
  • by HMA on Oct 18, 2011 at 06:56 PM
    This "occupy" thing is becoming quite trendy. Has anything positive been accomplished??
  • by God Bless America Location: tally on Oct 18, 2011 at 05:17 PM
    Can't beat 'em join 'em. Mayor has no backbone.
  • by Franklin on Oct 18, 2011 at 01:15 PM
    Only one reason for the extension: if it were not given, the chances are very high, this group and the others of the same ilk, would begin destroying public and private property.
  • by Reagan Republican Location: Tall. on Oct 18, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    I support the right of others to peacefully protest in America. I do wonder how these individuals have this much free time to occupy a city for weeks and months. How do you acquire a college education if you are not attending classes and taking exams? How do you acquire a job if you are not interviewing? How do you pay your monthly bills if you are not at work to earn an income? How are you a supportive member of your family if you are not at home? How do you do charity work towards improving your community? Do these individuals not have any responsibilities in life towards a productive self?
      by Occupy everything!!! on Oct 18, 2011 at 03:20 PM in reply to Reagan Republican
      Sarcasm alert! Sarcasm alert ,dead ahead... Allow me to answer your questions. #1- "How do you acquire a college education if you are not attending classes and taking exams?" When you are majoring in basket weaving, attending class is not imperative and exams are pretty easy. #2- "How do you acquire a job if you are not interviewing?" Who wants a job, I just want the cash. #3- "How do you pay your monthly bills if you are not at work to earn an income?" Why should I pay monthly bills, the world owes me, I deserve it. #4- " How are you a supportive member of your family if you are not at home?" I don't support my family, my family supports me, as well they should. #5- " How do you do charity work towards improving your community?" Well, I throw all my trash on the ground in the park, the city pays employees to pick it up, so it not only makes a better community, it provides much needed jobs. #6- "Do these individuals not have any responsibilities in life towards a productive self?" Oh please, personal responsibility is so last century, and why should I be productive when I can coerce/force someone else to be productive for me, and still reap the benefits. There, is that clearer now?....End sarcasm.......well, maybe, most of it was...ok, some of it was.... nevermind.
        by Anonymous on Oct 21, 2011 at 11:56 AM in reply to Occupy everything!!!
        Moron. There are people with jobs here, too. As someone who was in the Navy for 8 years, earning my own money and paying my bills, AND am going to college too, I find it quite easy to participate in something so important that it involves everyone (even with a full load of classes, algebra II, astronomy, drawing, and comp, 3 of which requires a bit of homework on top of working). Even you, though your trendy republican ideas contradict your sarcasm, are affected immensely but fail to see past your nose because you have a job and money and a political agenda that completely defeats what the ideas stand for in the first place. We're all not jobless dirty hippies. You all, though, are apathetic un-driven (unless it's something tangible that has to do with yourselves), and ignorant.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 132039428 - wctv.tv/a?a=132039428