MIAMI, FL -- October 17, 2011 -
Authorities say a Miami restaurant owner died after becoming overwhelmed by toxic fumes while trying to fix a septic tank.
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue spokeswoman Grisele Marino says the man
fainted inside the tank Sunday.
Marino says another man tried to help the owner, but he told rescue workers that the fumes made him dizzy and he had difficulty moving. Rescue crews transported the restaurant owner to a hospital, where he died.
Marino says the death is under investigation.
The restaurant owner's family identified him as Tomas Gil, the owner of the restaurant Esther's in north Miami-Dade County.
Martha Spillers says her brother had been repairing the tank with a cousin on Saturday. Spillers says Gil decided to work by himself Sunday but fainted as soon as he entered the tank.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.