[UPDATE] Teen Arrested After Robbing Golfers at Gunpoint

By: Eyewitness News Email
By: Eyewitness News Email

[UPDATE] Tallahassee, Florida - July 13, 2011 - Noon -

A teenager accused of robbing golfers at a Tallahassee golf course is now under arrest. U.S. Marshals caught up with the 14 year old across state lines in Georgia.

The gunpoint robbery stunned golfers here at Jake Gaither and news of the teens arrest is traveling fast. Police say 14 year old Austin Howard robbed golfers on two different occasions back in May.

Click on the video above to watch our live interview with Rosie Keween, Supervisor at Gaither Golf Course.

Police are still looking for a second teen that may have been involved.

_____________________________________

Tallahassee, Florida - July 13, 2011 -

Tallahassee Police officers responded to reports of robberies on May 20th, 2011 and May 28th, 2011 at the Jake Gaither Golf Course, located at 801 Tanner Drive. Both incidents involved the same suspect utilizing a firearm to commit robberies to golfers at the 5th hole of the course. The suspect fled south on the course, through a hole in the perimeter fence both times.

Investigator Scott Cherry identified the suspect as 14 year-old black male, Austin Howard. Arrest warrants were obtained for Howard for both incidents. Members of the Tallahassee Police Career Criminal Unit and the Florida Regional Fugitive Task Force endeavored to locate Howard and arrest him. Their investigation determined Howard had fled to Fayetteville, Georgia. Local task force members contacted the US Marshals Southeast Regional Fugitive Task Force in Georgia, who located and arrested Howard without incident. He will be transported back to Tallahassee to face armed robbery charges for these incidents.

A second suspect was involved in these incidents. He has not yet been identified, but is described as a short, thin, teenaged black male. Anyone with information about these incidents is asked to call the Tallahassee Police Department at 891-4200 or Big Bend Crime Stoppers at 574-TIPS. Crime Stoppers does not want your name, just your information. You could be eligible for a cash reward. Please remember, if you see something, say something, do something.

• by Devin Location: Tally on Jul 14, 2011 at 07:49 PM
    And you wonder why Commissioner Proctor always complains about the jails are filled with blacks when they are the ones doing the crimes. The golfers should of taken their clubs and hit them where the sun doesn't shine and maybe then they would get the message. This type of behavior is taught to them by their peers and own family.
  • by it is what it is on Jul 14, 2011 at 07:29 PM
    Man, the little bruthers sure learn early. Too bad somebody didn't have a .357 in his bag and blow a hole in the thug's face.
  • by Mike Location: Tally on Jul 14, 2011 at 06:52 PM
    Someone should have split his head open with a nine iron.....
  • by Tracy on Jul 14, 2011 at 04:32 PM
    Too bad one of the golfers didn't bust him on the side of his head with their club. That would have been a great hole in one!!!
  • by DOC Phil Location: Inyourhead on Jul 14, 2011 at 04:00 PM
    I blame the American citizen. If more citizens would carry a concealed weapon and shoot to kill little criminals like this, they wouldn't grow up to fill up the taxpayers' prisons!
      by IAgree on Jul 15, 2011 at 07:56 AM in reply to DOC Phil
      I agree. That this thug survived to do it twice makes me sick to my stomach. And just think . . . don't doctors play golf? You know; those people working with the anti-gun zealots to disarm America? I guess Forest Gump was right . . . and obviously a whole lot more intelligent than the average golfer at this course.
  • by Hood Ninja Location: Souf Siiiiiide on Jul 14, 2011 at 03:46 PM
    14 years old? Man they are startin young these days!
  • by double eagle Location: par five on Jul 14, 2011 at 03:32 PM
    We paly on a public course during the week which is located near some pretty tough neighborhoods (the course was there before the neighborhoods were). Three of the four in our group carry guns. Too bad these thugs didn't pick on us.
  • by wakulla girl on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:53 AM
    time for electric fencing LOL
  • by Anonymous on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:06 AM
    About 10 years ago I came up to hole number five to find 2 kids on the green. One had a cane and the other a curtain rod for putters. They were claiming loudly that they were Tiger Woods. I had to ask, then tell them to get off the green so I could play the hole that I payed for. As soon as my tee shot hit the air, they were back on the green with their balls. They proceeded to laugh because my ball came up short in the green side bunker. I had to tell them again to get off so I could hit. They refused, so I grabbed one of their balls and hit it into the woods (that I can do well).They cussed me up and down and followed me halfway through the next hole saying that they were going to get their dad's 9mm and shoot me. I left the course and asked the pro shop if they were going to fix the giant, visible hole in the fence. I told them what happened and still had to beg for my money back. They wanted to give me a rain check. I said I was never coming back there again, and haven't. Remember about 14 years ago, some guy was beat with his own club and then robbed on no.5?
      by Anonymous on Jul 14, 2011 at 12:02 PM in reply to
      Sounds like the city of Tallahassee might have a small hand in this. If they would repair the fences, and keep them maintained, then no one could sneak in the back woods at the trailer park there.
      by Jethro Capital City, Florida on Jul 14, 2011 at 03:59 PM in reply to
      I don't blame Tiger Woods. I blame the gangsta' hoodrat thug that was the perp! This little hoodrat will be whinin' and cryin' when he gets in GP. Snotnosed punk! Word!
  • by Alias Location: T-Town on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:00 AM
    I blame Tiger Woods.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 125558308 - wctv.tv/a?a=125558308