Tallahassee, Florida - January 19, 2012 -
On January 19th at about 3am, an FSU student was approached by a black 4dr, medium sized “Toyota like” vehicle occupied by 2 males in the area of Chieftain Way at Kellum Hall. One of the males (passenger) asked to use the student’s cell phone. The student said he would allow the male to use it via the speaker phone option. The male passenger then exited the vehicle, grabbed the student’s hand, and snatched the phone. The two suspects in the car then drove off. The student was not hurt nor were any weapons shown or implied. The suspects fled south toward the Leach Center area. Searches for the suspects in the area were not successful. The vehicle occupants were described by the student as black males with the passenger wearing a black jacket and standing about 5'8" with short cut hair. There was no further description regarding the driver.
The FSU Police Department Investigations Section is actively following up on this case. If you have any information as to this incident or persons involved, please contact the FSUPD at 850-644-1234. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can call Big Bend Crime Stoppers at 850-574-TIPS, or visit them online at BBCSI.org where you can submit a tip online. Remember with Crime Stoppers, you never have to give your name and the information you provide may make you eligible for a reward of up to $1000.
Crime Prevention Tips:
1. Avoid walking alone at night. Walking with a group of friends reduces the risk of being a victim of crime.
2. If you must walk late at night, stay in well lighted and well traveled areas.
3. Tell someone where you are going and when you expect to return.
4. Do not display money or valuables as you walk. These of course, may be attractive to a potential robber.
5. Be aware of your surroundings. Do not get immersed in texting or talking on the phone.
6. If you see anyone suspicious or someone who alarms you for any reason, contact police. They can make sure everything is safe or take appropriate action if necessary.