The Florida State University Police Department investigated two robberies during the overnight hours of January 11-12, 2011.
On January 11, 2011 at about 11:44pm, a resident to Alumni Village (graduate student housing about 2 miles south of main campus) had returned home when he was approached by three males near where he parked. The males subsequently held him to the ground, took his belongings and his vehicle. The suspects immediately fled in the vehicle. FSUPD responded and subsequently located the vehicle abandoned by the suspects in a nearby neighborhood. The vehicle was impounded for evidence processing. There were no weapons seen or implied. The student was not injured.
The victim described the males only as "three black males" and was unable to provide a further description.
The second robbery took place on the main campus near the intersection of Chieftain Way and Spirit Way at about 1:50am on January 12, 2011. The victim was riding a motor scooter when he was rear-ended by a black pickup truck. When the victim approached the driver of the pickup truck to exchange information, the driver pulled a pistol and demanded the victim's belongings. The victim stated he had nothing of value and a passenger in the truck exited and took the victim's motor scooter. All the suspects fled. FSU Police intercepted the suspect on the motor scooter as he fled south if campus and arrested him.
Suspect information on the second robbery is limited. The vehicle is described as an older model black pickup truck. The suspects that escaped the scene are described as two black males, wearing black hooded sweatshirts and jeans. The driver who was described as the one with the pistol is described as wearing a black ski mask with the eyes cut out.
The FSU Police Department is continuing investigations on both of these cases. They are not linked at this time due to the differences in locations and manner in which the crimes were committed. Any persons having information that may assist with the investigations is requested to contact the FSU Police Department at 850 644 1234. Persons wishing to remain anonymous can contact Big Bend Crime Stoppers at 850 574 TIPS (8477). With Crime Stoppers, you do not have to give your name and you may be eligible for a reward of up to 1000 dollars.
Crime Prevention Tips:
1. Avoid walking alone at night and if you do, stay in well lighted and well traveled areas.
2. When you go out, tell someone where you are going and when you expect to return.
3. Avoid carrying large sums of cash or obvious valuables that may be tempting to a potential robber.
4. Note suspicious persons and call police immediately if you see a person or persons acting suspiciously. Trust your instincts.
5. In the event you are robbed do not resist if the robber wants only your valuables. Remember that things can be replaced.
6. Note suspect characteristics and be prepared to advise the police dispatcher and officers of a description, last direction of travel, and if there are any weapons involved.
7. Do not hesitate to call police. Time is critical when attempting to intercept a fleeing suspect.