[UPDATE] Murder in Jackson County

By: Eyewitness News Email
By: Eyewitness News Email

[UPDATE] 11-30

People in Jackson County are still shocked by Saturday night's violent murder of 62-year-old Vivian Ford in her Greenwood home. Ford's death has left a big hole in the lives of many people.

"This place will never be the same, never."

62-year-old Vivian Ford's desk remains untouched, pictures of her children and grandchildren adorn the side wall.

Outside the Jackson County School Board office, where Ford worked for 21-years, two black ribbons hang on the front doors in her memory.

Her death has sent shock waves throughout the Jackson County community.

"Ms. Ford is truly the first lady of the Jackson County School System."

Superintendent Lee Miller worked with Ford since 1997.

He says everyone is struggling with her sudden death.

"She was a beautiful woman, both inside and out, and she was so sweet and so nice and so caring that it just made her more beautiful."

Authorities say Ford was murdered inside her Greenwood home late Saturday afternoon.

Her husband, Larry, found her body as he returned from a hunting trip.

Investigators are still trying to understand the actions of the two suspects, 21-year-old John Lincoln and 38-year-old King Sherman.

"This homicide is a senseless act, there was no reason for it, if the burglary was the intent, there was no need to harm the homeowner, and they could have left."

Ford's co-workers are trying to understand too.

They describe her as the definition of a classy woman.

"She was the rock of our personnel department, any of us that needed anything, she was there, she loved her family, she loved us."

"I can truly tell you that from day one till the last day I saw her on that Tuesday before thanksgiving, she was always the same."

The Fords are well-known in the farming community where they won several awards including farm family of the year in 1976.

“Everyone loved Vivian; the peanut industry in general would like to express our deepest sympathies and condolences to the Ford family. We'll keep them in our prayers."

Friends and family say Vivian Ford was devoted to her Christian faith.

Many say the only comfort they have is knowing she's in a better place now.

School board employees held a memorial service this morning and shared their favorite memories of Vivian Ford.

______________________________________________

Jackson County, Florida --

Authorities are investigating the murder of a well-known Jackson County woman.

They say 62-year-old Vivian Ford was found dead inside her Greenwood home at around 6 o'clock on Saturday (11-27) night.

Sheriff's investigators and the mounted posse spent most of Sunday collecting evidence.

Sheriff Lou Roberts says one suspect has been charged with homicide while the other may be indirectly involved and has been charged with dealing in stolen property.

Vivian Ford and her family are well known in the area, especially in the farming community.

"This is a shock to all of us, I mean we all knew Ms. Ford very well, she's such a wonderful lady, this is a very close-knit community, a lot of people are relatives of each other and it's just very difficult for us to really just deal with this," Sheriff Lou Roberts says.

Vivian Ford was the Secretary for the Jackson County School Superintendent. School Board employees will be informed of her death this morning.

• by Theresa Location: Tn on Dec 1, 2010 at 06:12 AM
    I grew up in Malone and let me say, let's just think what would Ms Vivian say about this conversation? Yes, they should be caught and get what they deserve but I guarantee you she would be first in line to say, let's forgive them and teach them about our Savior's love! These people are facing justice but I am sure And I am glad. My heart and prayers go out to the family and I also pray for the families of the men who committed this senseless and worthless horrible crime because of the pain they feel also. Ms Vivian would say have live and mercy not hate and violence.
  • by Bryan Location: Tallahassee on Nov 30, 2010 at 01:51 PM
    Patriot... I take that he WAS being derogatory and will say this for Sonny's benefit: Sonny, there are a lot of "down home" folks that remember the days of mounted posse's and deputizing to engage/roundup a threat! Rural communities all over this country know how to get things done a whole lot better than you may think. People can say what they want about "us country folk" and that's fine. We're not really interested in your opinion anyway. But criminals and/or troublemakers in general are about to find out that walking into the wrong house for the wrong reason may be the last bad idea they'll ever have! My heart hurts for this family and for all that go through this kind of non-sense!
  • by Jack Location: Gardner on Nov 30, 2010 at 11:26 AM
    Instead of arguing about LE, I just want to say that I went to school with Vivian in the 1960's. She was always one of the few people I remembered well over the years after I left Malone in 1963. I believe it is because of all the glowing things people have said about her. She was the same then and obviously never changed. I was looking at my 1960 Malone HS annual and even then she was VP of my junior high class. Even though I have not seen her in nearly 50 years, it still makes me very sad to know a wonderful person like this came to such a tragic end. God bless you Vivian.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 30, 2010 at 09:32 AM
    Again, it was a tip by a citizen that gave LE a clue. The LE should learn how to use the public instead of keeping them in the dark. More criminals would be caught that way.
  • by Patriot Location: USA on Nov 30, 2010 at 06:50 AM
    Sonny: I was once a member of a Sheriff's Posse. We did all the work free of charge, saving taxpayer money. We also bought our own radio and other equipment through fundaisers, again saving taxpayer money. I have had deputies say they were so glad to see us when we arrived for backup on a busy night when all other regular deputies were tied up. Your comment could be taken two ways, I am going to assume it was not a derogatory one, and you just were surprised at the idea. The sad thing is that regulations and insurance (yep, lawyers again!) have made Posse's almost a thing of the past. So now the taxpayers foot the whole bill. Isn't that great? I am glad these two scumbags are behind bars. My sympathy goes out to this woman's family. What a senseless crime!
  • by Rita RN Location: Jackson Co on Nov 30, 2010 at 04:20 AM
    What's wrong with a mounted possee, Sonny? They obviously know what they're doing...they caught them. Let me guess, you think it's some redneck town and having a mounted possee is just so ridiculous?? You're an idiot to make such a comment.
  • by Heather Location: Jackson County on Nov 29, 2010 at 10:23 PM
    Fact is that Jackson County has one of the largest square miles for counties in Florida. Doesn't matter how they were caught at least they were caught. Good job JCSO.
  • by Alvin on Nov 29, 2010 at 06:22 PM
    Call it what you will, they've done a fine job.Any of us would use any means to catch who had taken our loved one. I'd like to use a little old fashion justice in this and other cases and maybe criminals would think twice.The jerks have been caught but many others are still free. nough said.
  • by B Location: Woodville on Nov 29, 2010 at 11:40 AM
    You know Jackson County is small enough for that...
  • by Sonny Location: Tallahassee on Nov 29, 2010 at 11:17 AM
    Mounted possee?? Really?
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 110984554 - wctv.tv/a?a=110984554