[UPDATE] TPD Investigates "Suspicious Incident" at Raa Middle School

By: Eyewitness News; Julie Montanaro Email
By: Eyewitness News; Julie Montanaro Email

UPDATED 6.14.2011 by Julie Montanaro 5pm

A frightening encounter sends a teenage girl hurrying for help.

Tallahassee Police say a strange man approached a 15 year old girl as she waited near Raa Middle School for her mother to pick her up.

A Leon County School district spokesman says the teen attends the 100 Success Academy, but is dropped off each day at a bus stop near the Raa bus ramp.

The teen sought safety in the school office. She told the secretary there that a man was following her.

"He came up and asked her how ... if she would go out and have dinner with him and she told him no, that she was a child," said Raa Middle School secretary Candace Blakely. "So then, she came on in the office."

Blakely says the teen then called her mother and waited in the office until her mother could pick her up.

Police describe the man as a black man, 30 to 35 year old, with sideburns and medium length hair. The student told police he had a foreign ... possibly a Jamaican accent.

If you have seen him, police want to hear from you. They also encourage parents to talk to their children about what to do if strangers approach them as well as discuss safe places to wait.

--------------------------------------------------------
Tallahassee, Florida - June 14, 2011 - Noon -

Tallahassee police are on the hunt for the man they say approached a 15 year old girl at a school.

It happened at around 3:30pm on June 13th at Raa Middle school.

A school secretary told WCTV the girl waiting at the school's bus ramp.
That's when a man came up and asked the student to go to dinner with him.

The girl said no and tried to walk away, but the man followed her.
Police say the man left when two school employees walked outside.
He's described as a 30-35 year old black man with a medium build, long sideburns and medium length hair.

The student said he spoke with a foreign, possibly Jamaican, accent.

_________________________________

Tallahassee, Florida - 6-14 -

Tallahassee Police officers responded to the home of a 15 year old female student last night following a suspicious incident that occurred at RAA Middle School at approximately 3:30 PM.

The student told officers a man she did not know approached her and began speaking with her, leaving only after two teachers exited the school. He was described as a black male, 30-35 years old, medium build, with long sideburns and medium length hair. The student said the male spoke with a foreign, possibly Jamaican, accent. Anyone with information about his identity is asked to call the Tallahassee Police Department at 891-4200.

Parents are reminded to talk with their children about personal safety matters. If a child must wait for a parent to pick them up, they should wait inside occupied buildings at a pre-designated location and only exit upon sight of parents; or wait with other children or people who are known to them.

• by Father of Teenagers Location: Tallahassee, FL on Jun 15, 2011 at 12:34 PM
    I can tell you that anything inappropriate directed at my kids or loved ones will raise my ire or that of ANY decent, caring person. And, times are getting tougher.
  • by Parent on Jun 15, 2011 at 06:34 AM
    Something similar happened to me when i worked for a popular grocery chain as a cashier at the age of 17. You would NOT BELIEVE the amount pervs that came through my line and hit on me from every age of every ethnicity. One 70 something year old man was waiting for me in the parking lot after work simply bc I was doing my job and being friendly!!!! Parents think its ok for kids to have summer/after school jobs at stores and such but after my experience working at one, I will NEVER allow my child to work in a grocery store!!
  • by Anonymous on Jun 14, 2011 at 03:10 PM
    This happens more than you could imagine, a lot of girls don't even mention it to their parents whether out of fear or embarrassment. I'm twenty now, but I can't count on one hand the number of much older men who tried to pursued me to get into a vehicle with them while I was in middle school. It's terrifying.
  • by dog Location: gone on Jun 14, 2011 at 02:59 PM
    Wonder if the perv is an ILLEGAL ?
  • by Taser Location: Tallahassee on Jun 14, 2011 at 12:03 PM
    These incidents are the reason why I bought a taser for my teenage dauther. She was trained how to use it by a self defense trainer. Unfortunatelly she can't take it to school but she is able to carry it around in her purse.
  • by Jon on Jun 14, 2011 at 11:19 AM
    This is terrible, our children aren't even save at school. What a sicko pervert, they should lock him up and throw away the key. This is just a creepy thug fromFrench Town who was trying to pray on children.
  • by Anonymous on Jun 14, 2011 at 10:24 AM
    If she was at the bus ramp, then he trespassed on school grounds. What about all those new cameras the schools got? Surely they have him on video. Post his Picture and lets get rid of another Pedophile.
  • by al Location: tallahassee on Jun 14, 2011 at 09:48 AM
    Probably another jamaican brought over here drawing food stamps and nothing else to do but vote for Obama.
  • by Reallly Me? Location: Tally on Jun 14, 2011 at 09:44 AM
    @ "Me" - YES it was out of line. I have a 15 yr old daughter and it is inappropriate for a grown man to ask her to dinner. Surely you're being sacastic and you're not really just stupid.
  • by Jamie on Jun 14, 2011 at 09:42 AM
    Hey dummy! Can you read? He asked her to dinner. Are you 35 and prowling the local middle schools for a date too?
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 123821599 - wctv.tv/a?a=123821599