TPD Investigating Shooting Death

Updated 12-28 6:59pm

Police are investigating the shooting death of a Tallahassee man.

A man was arrested, though he is not being held responsible for murder.

Area resident Robert Wiggins said, "This is probably the quietest cul de sac in Killearn."

That was not the case on Monday night.

John Larosa said, "I heard sirens and then there were cops out here ready to roll, fully loaded with M-16s and ready. It was a crime scene. They had cars everywhere."

Tallahassee Police say they arrived at 3886 Paddrick Drive around 9:10 Monday night to find 51-year-old Edwin Cruce dead of a gunshot wound.

Officers say Cruce had driven to the home to confront 56-year-old David Zimmer; and during the confrontation, Zimmer shot Cruce.

Larosa says his mom heard the arguing.

He said, "She came downstairs and she was actually sleeping. I guess it must've woke her up."

Authorities say the two men had an ongoing business disagreement.

The probable cause affidavit shows that Cruce owned the small strip mall at 1360 Lake Bradford Road; and that he evicted Zimmer back in July for past due rent on the coin laundromat at that location.

Cruce reported that Zimmer returned to the building several times over the past few months to vandalize and sabotage the place.

Wiggins said, "I don't care how mad you are, you don't shoot somebody over it; at least I don't think you do. I wouldn't. I don't think you would either, would you? No."

Many of the neighbors say they are shocked that Zimmer would be involved in a deadly shooting.

While they say everyone who lives near this cul de sac is friendly, not many of the neighbor say they knew anything about Zimmer. They only describe him as a quiet person who stayed to himself.

At this time, Zimmer is not charged in relation to the shooting death of Cruce.

He was jailed Monday night from an outstanding warrant for trespassing, and released Tuesday on $1,000 bond.

Police say they are still investigating.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRESS RELEASE:

Last night (12/27), at approximately 9:10PM, the Tallahassee Police Department responded to a reported shooting at 3886 Paddrick Drive. Upon arrival, officers found 51 year-old Edwin Cruce deceased of an apparent gunshot wound.

Investigator James Besse from the Tallahassee Police Department's Violent Crimes Unit responded to the scene and began an investigation into the events leading to the death of Mr. Cruce. Based on information obtained during the initial investigation it appears Mr. Cruce had an ongoing business disagreement with 56 year-old David Zimmer. Last night, Mr. Cruce drove to Mr. Zimmer's home and confronted Mr. Zimmer. During the confrontation, Mr. Zimmer shot Mr. Cruce.

The investigation is ongoing and details surrounding the shooting cannot be released. After consultation with the State Attorney's Office, no charges have been filed at this time in relation to the shooting. Mr. Zimmer was arrested based an outstanding warrant for trespassing and taken to jail.

Warrant is attached above

• by vee Location: havana on Dec 29, 2010 at 05:21 PM
    why not simply call the police? why take matters into your own hands? if someone comes on my property looking for a fight or some other confrontation, i would call the police and get a restraining order. but, if i was guilty of trepassing on someone else property, then i wouldn't readily call law enforcement when they trepass on mine. a senseless murder. even if it was self defense, it should've never gotten to that point.
  • by tallybob on Dec 29, 2010 at 02:40 PM
    This guy's sued everybody but his own grandma. And she's probly next. He's no choir boy.
  • by Just Saying Location: Tally on Dec 29, 2010 at 01:54 PM
    Well FL .... How do you know I wasn't there? How do you know I didn't hear the argueing? How do you know I wasn't the one who called the cops... But you all need to get the whole story no just the bits and pieces that TPD lets out! WCTV reports what they are TOLD... TPD only gives out so much info.... But.. Just because he isn't the one dead doesn't mean he pulled the gun first... It just means he's a better shot than Cruce was... Key word being WAS.....
  • by tally Location: tally on Dec 29, 2010 at 01:54 PM
    Most warrants are bench warrants, they dont go looking for the people. when a cop stops you they run your name and a warrant come up then they arrest you. Theres not enough cops to arrest every little warrant. when someone comes to your house at 9pm. that you know you have a problem with your not going to be very nice to them, your going to protect your house and person.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 29, 2010 at 01:05 PM
    I see several mistakes here...one, the reporter on teh news last night said TPD urged people to let the police handle situations like this...the 4-5 reports of trespassing and vandalism wasn't enough? I see a lawsuit coming for TPD. Two, it was dumb to go to the other guys house even if he did call you and say to come over, bad idea! Zimmer will be pleading self defense but the smirk smile on his face says something else happened. Several things do not add up here and all of this over a laundry mat. Feel sorry for the family! My sympathy goes out to them.
  • by Read first:low bail Location: home on Dec 29, 2010 at 07:32 AM
    Read the story first, the low bail is because he was arrested for an outsatnding warrant,not murder,thats why!
  • by What? on Dec 29, 2010 at 06:04 AM
    He got low bail because of this messed up "right to defend yourself" law. This law is broken and the legislature needs to fix it as fast as possible. Yes - you have the right to defend yourself and yes you should be able to use deadly force. However, there needs to be exceptions, especially if you have antagonized the other party or you are a known gang member or have a criminal history of violence. People are using this law to kill and get away with it. You can look at Zimmer and see it in his face. He may well get away with premeditated murder!
  • by a mama on Dec 29, 2010 at 05:51 AM
    Seriously, if people already have warrants, why isn't TPD doing their jobs and arresting them in the first place? Is it because he has money and lives in a nice neighborhood? Mr. Zimmer also needs to wipe that smile off of his face. He just killed somebody and made it very clear has no remorse for it. He is obviously a psychopath and knew exactly what he was planning on doing. My heart goes out to the family and friends for their loss.
  • by Fl on Dec 28, 2010 at 09:08 PM
    Just saying nobody said Mr Cruce pulled a gun first. Were you there. Maybe he asked Mr. Cruce to come over with the intentions of shooting him. If Cruce pulled a gun first then why isn't Mr. Zimmer dead.After all we are just saying right and who said Mr. Cruce did anything stupid, maybe more than one hot head lives in the neighborhood.Just saying. I am all for gun owners only they need to be responsible gun owners.
  • by LaTonya Location: Tallahassee on Dec 28, 2010 at 08:41 PM
    I am so devastated I was very close 2 Edwin(Micheal) Cruce. He was my daddy boss man and it is messed up how it all happened. Zimmer deserves 2 b put under the prison because that was not right and I wished Micheal didn't go 2 Zimmer's house. Unfortunately I knew it was coming because I have seen Zimmer approach the laundromat and I would report it 2 my father and I said someone is going 2 get killed over the laundromat and 2 weeks after I said it it happened the moral 2 the story is 2 stop the violence.....My heart goes out 2 the Cruce family.....<3
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112547999 - wctv.tv/a?a=112547999